<  Yao and me  ~  Yao's vert

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:01 pm
Ming Fan wrote:
i've heard in many places that squatting helps you gain a higher vertical :? thats why professional weight-lifters usually have the highest verticals of any athletes :!:

squats also make you slower (running)...also weight lifters are very heavy so just having big leg muscles doesn't mean you can jump high.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 5:22 pm
The truth in the matter is the supersized and plodding Mr. Ming cant even jump over a dime.

Ex-NBA Coach.
"The coach is always right!"

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:04 pm
ex-NBA Coach wrote:
The truth in the matter is the supersized and plodding Mr. Ming cant even jump over a dime.

Ex-NBA Coach.

what an idiot? He is Mr Yao, not Mr Ming

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:56 pm
Not jumping higher could be a blessing in disguise (as long as Yao continues to get rebounds and block shots).

1. It's less likely to get injured when you don't jump high.
2. Less tear and wear on your lower body (knee, ankle, foot). He is likely to play older than others who jump higher.
3. Preserve more energy.

I do hope he can jump faster though.

Last edited by waterfall_zen on Wed Nov 26, 2003 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:55 pm
waterfall_zen wrote:
Not jumping higher could be a blessing in disguise (as long as Yao continues to get rebounds and block shots).

1. It's less likely to get injured when you don't jump high.
2. Less tear and wear on your lower body (knee, ankle). He is likely to play older than others who jump higher.
3. Preserve more energy.

I do hope he can jump faster though.

Totally agree with this. I thought this very thought many times! Look at all the tall big men who could jump. sampson had knee problems, muresan couldn't even jump, just running gave him problems, shaq has recurrent toe problems that have plagued him now that he's been in the league many years.

Really tall guys shouldn't be expected to fly through the air. I'm glad yao has a strong base but i don't really care to see him jumping or running like crazy for his career's sake. fighting for position or rebounding is another matter though

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 7:03 pm
maldini wrote:
ex-NBA Coach wrote:

Ex-NBA Coach.

what an idiot? He is Mr Yao, not Mr Ming

....i thought he got banned....

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:32 am
is yao's vertical 18 inches then?
whats shaq?

Also, olympic lifters have massive leaps, their vert leap is usually at least 40 inches. I remember marion jone's ex-husband had a 42 inch vertical and he weighed over 300 pounds. And the other olympic wrestler turned WWF wrestler Mark Henry had over 40 inch leap as well.

Jumping is all about power. Mainly in the calves, hammys, glutes (butt muscles) and quads. Having a strong trunk and back muscles wont help leap much but they are important in maintaining balance and ensure u have maximum reach.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:42 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Chuck__187 wrote:
is yao's vertical 18 inches then?
whats shaq?

Please refer to what I just translated about the physical handicap or limitation of Yao Ming as a basketball player.

http://www.yaomingmania.com/forum/viewt ... ght=#47490

Due to the fact that Yao Ming was born of short achilles tendon and long toes, he could not run very fast and jump very high. Coupled with the fact that he suffered major injuries to the bow bones of his left leg in the 1997/98 CBA season, he could not jump as high as he could back in CBA then. His clean leap used to be 60 cm (i.e. 23.6 inches) as written there in the Chinese article. He hardly jumped as high as 20 cm ( < 8 inches) now in NBA for his rebounds, block shots, and slam dunks. :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:50 am
ok
as a aside question
what the average vertical leap for a male?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:27 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Chuck__187 wrote:
ok
as a aside question
what the average vertical leap for a male?

NO IDEA WHATSOEVER.....as I ain't sporty and athletic at all !!! I seldom run and I seldom jump !!! :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile