<  Yao and me  ~  How many times have you been to Yao's games?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 12:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 3406Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm
superjohn wrote:
...HK's and China's currency are linked to the US$, (Actually No) do currency fluctuations still affect the investment in stocks? If they de-link their currency, the Chinese RMB will shoot up, not down.

HK and China currencies are NOT pegged w the US$; they are floated against the Yankee dollar in the open market.

if you're rooting for the economies of HK and China, all other factors being equal, then you would not want to see the RMB to shoot up. it is very complex and intertwining web---detrminant factors include interest rates, productivity, gold reseves, currency reserves, balance of trade, etc.---but economics is about inter-dependencies of economic factors.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 5:38 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
bblock12000 wrote:
superjohn wrote:
...HK's and China's currency are linked to the US$, (Actually No) do currency fluctuations still affect the investment in stocks? If they de-link their currency, the Chinese RMB will shoot up, not down.

HK and China currencies are NOT pegged w the US$; they are floated against the Yankee dollar in the open market.

if you're rooting for the economies of HK and China, all other factors being equal, then you would not want to see the RMB to shoot up. it is very complex and intertwining web---detrminant factors include interest rates, productivity, gold reseves, currency reserves, balance of trade, etc.---but economics is about inter-dependencies of economic factors.

BBlock,

What you said in the second part of your post is CORRECT......but I don't get what you mean in the first portion of your statement that HK & China $ are NOT pegged 挂钩 but floated 浮动 against the US$ in the open market. If the HK$/RMB were not pegged against US$ but be subject to fluctuation/floating on the free exchange market, WHY ON H@LL NOW the US government is blah-blah-blah and putting pressure on China to re-evaluate the purchasing power of RMB ????

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:13 pm
bblock12000 wrote:
superjohn wrote:

I don't want to see the Chinese RMB shoot up, but a little up is actually good. With the sharp increase in oil and natural resource prices, a slighty stronger RMB will help reduce the inflationary pressures in China. But the PRC would not allow that to happen, forcing themselves to use other measures to tame the overheating.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:23 pm
pryuen wrote:
...HK's and China's currency are linked to the US$, (Actually No) .
i do not wish flaunt my economic knowledge, in the process boring you to death, by giving you a full discourse on the workings of global political economics. you can pick up such nuances from read a "money and banking" book by Paul Samuelson, former MIT professor and Nobel Prize winner.

when GWH's supposed handlers were mouthing off on China's need to manipulate its RMB, they're talking w a forked tougue. they don't know what the F#&* they're talking about.

:arrow: they want the US consumer to continue enjoy the benefits of a low RMB (low cost items in Walmart) yet

:arrow: they want China to raise the RMB---which has the effect of making Chinese import to expensive to US consumers.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
bblock12000 wrote:
when GWH's supposed handlers were mouthing off on China's need to manipulate its RMB, they're talking w a forked tougue. they don't know what the F#&* they're talking about.

:arrow: they want the US consumer to continue enjoy the benefits of a low RMB (low cost items in Walmart) yet

:arrow: they want China to raise the RMB---which has the effect of making Chinese import to expensive to US consumers.

Well, they did it to the Japanese 15 years ago (???) and as a results, the Japanese economy collapsed and is now still in a mess.

I think the Chinese are MUCH clever and not succumbing to the continuous political pressure USA is exerting to them !!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:45 pm
pryuen wrote:
...Well, they did it to the Japanese 15 years ago (???) and as a results, the Japanese economy collapsed and is now still in a mess.

do not twist the historical facts. they are not the same.

while i am of Chinese heritage and am very proud of the economic strides China has made, economically speaking (insofar as foreign trade) China does not compare to Japan's savvy===enonomic cunny and guile.

Japan's economic downturn was the result of its own undoing accentuated by poor timing. 3 major causes of its gravity-like economic decline 15 yrs ago:
:arrow: The fiscal crisis in Thailand's economy, in which Japan had invested very heavily.
:arrow: The fiscal crisis in Indonesia, effectively a Japanese economic colony, whose currency was PEGGed to the Japanese Yen.
:arrow: the collapse of commerical real estate market in the US; Japan was a big player in the commercial real estal market in North America.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:08 pm
bblock12000 wrote:
Japan's economic downturn was the result of its own undoing accentuated by poor timing. 3 major causes of its gravity-like economic decline 15 yrs ago:
:arrow: The fiscal crisis in Thailand's economy, in which Japan had invested very heavily.
:arrow: The fiscal crisis in Indonesia, effectively a Japanese economic colony, whose currency was PEG to the Japanese Yen.
:arrow: the collapse of commerical real estate market in the US; Japan was a big player in the commercial real estal market in North America.

While I agreed to those 3 "incidents" you gave were part of the WHOLE picture of the Japanese economy decline, but I do think the FACT that the Japanese government succumbed to USA pressure to re-evaluate their currency was the catalyst (??) 药引 that triggers the above domino effect, and set the above time-bombs off, i.e. the above were the CONSEQUENCES and the currency re-evaluation was the CAUSE !!! :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:45 pm
:
with all due respect, you superfical understanding of global economics manifested itself.

let's give it a rest.

pryuen wrote:
bblock12000 wrote:
:arrow: The fiscal crisis in Indonesia, effectively a Japanese economic colony, whose currency was PEG to the Japanese Yen.

While I agreed to those 3 "incidents" you gave were part of the WHOLE picture of the Japanese economy decline, but I do think the FACT that the Japanese government succumbed to USA pressure to re-evaluate their currency was the catalyst (??) 药引 that triggers the above domino effect, and set the above time-bombs off, i.e. the above were the CONSEQUENCES and the currency re-evaluation was the CAUSE !!! :shock: :P :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 9:56 pm
bblock12000 wrote:
:
with all due respect, you superfical understanding of global economics manifested itself.

let's give it a rest.

With all due respect, the above is your usual way of conceding....下台阶 !!!! LOL !!!! Let's go back and discuss our dim sum and other nice and delicious Chinese cuisine !!! :shock: :P :oops: :oops: :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 10:01 pm
pryuen wrote:
bblock12000 wrote:
:

let's give it a rest.

With all due respect, the above is your usual way of conceding....下台阶 let's talk something else !!! :

you're pissing me off!

i want u to give it a rest, so that u would not subject yourself to further embarassment. just like your contiue regurgitation of that supposed sports writer's baseless spins. if you insist on embarassing yourself, go right ahead.

let me put it in a way that you can understand.

you don't know global economics, as documented by your superficical observation of the Japanese decline.

anyway, let's compare our background in economics, shall we ?

Last edited by bblock12000 on Sun May 02, 2004 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile