<  Yao and me  ~  YAO MING INTERNET FAN CLUB AT A FEE ????

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
What do you guys think about this ???

Personally think this is a dumb and dump idea of the Team Yao. WHY should have they concurred to such an arrangement ?? :shock: :evil: :x :twisted:

I'd rather stay here with YMM !!!

Sports Business News wrote:

Being a fan of Yao Ming can be costly

Being a Yao Ming fan will have a price.

Yao, an All-Star for the National Basketball Association's Houston Rockets, started his fan club on the Internet last week. Members can sign up for free -- but that will change. That and this report from Bloomberg News' Pete Coates

``There will be a charge,'' said Randall Calvert, chief executive officer of the Dallas-based Calvert Group, an advertising firm that runs the fan club.

A number of athletes have fan clubs or, like San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, operate their own Web site as a way to communicate with supporters. Few charge a fee, though.

Yao's club has three pay levels for fans, Calvert said, adding that the amounts haven't been determined. He didn't say when the charges would commence.

``Yao will get a cut,'' Calvert said in a telephone interview. ``They're also deciding on how much of it is going to go to charity.''

Calvert said he didn't know how many fans had joined the fan club, which can be accessed at http://www.yaomingfanclub.com .

Yao earned about $4.1 million this season as part of his four-year, $18 million contract that expires after the 2005-06 season. He earns millions more from endorsements, including contracts with McDonald's Corp., the world's largest chain of hamburger restaurants, Reebok International Ltd., the No. 2 athletic shoemaker, and Apple Computer Inc., the maker of iPod music players.

While it's customary for fan clubs to charge $5 or $10 for a T-shirt, hat or newsletter, anything more might sour fans, said Scott Becher, president of Coral Gables, Florida-based Sports & Sponsorships.

``I don't like the concept,'' he said in a telephone interview. ``It's not going to feel good for most people.''

The companies Yao is associated with will offer perks to members of the fan club, depending of which pay level they belong to, Calvert said, declining to be specific.

The idea for the fan club came from Team Yao, a group of marketing executives hired by the 7-foot-5 center.

Bill Sanders, director of marketing for BDA Sports, which represents Yao, didn't immediately return a message left at his office. Erik Zhang, leader of Team Yao, couldn't immediately be reached.

The fan club devoted to former NBA player Chucky Brown doesn't charge for membership. The club's Web site provides news of Brown, his teams and the NBA. It also conducts interviews with experts on Brown-related basketball matters, including the recipe for his favorite pre-game treat: brownies.

Yao has plenty of potential fan-club members. He got more All-Star votes than the Lakers' Shaquille O'Neal in online fan balloting the past two seasons. He's the most popular athlete in Asia, which is why Toyota Motor Corp. is paying to have its name on Houston's arena. Toyota has a showroom in the building's main concourse.

Yao's fan club will enable his marketing agents to assemble his worldwide fans in one database. That information will be valuable when negotiating endorsement contracts with companies, said Brandon Steiner, president of Steiner Sports Marketing in New Rochelle, New York.

``You have to be very, very careful how this is positioned,'' said David Carter, a principal in the Sports Business Group, a consulting firm. ``If it looks like an affluent athlete embarking on a money grab, this could go south.'' That and this report from Bloomberg News' Pete Coates

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:52 pm
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
I wonder if Yao even knows anything about this. I can't believe he would approve of this. Someone needs to watch out for him better. When his image means so much to the people who have come to know and respect him, I'd hate for someone else's dumb idea to hurt him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:56 pm
Posts: 2735Location: Houston, TexasJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:43 pm
I cannot believe that Yao would give his blessing to an undertaking such as this which appears to be unashamedly exploiting Yao's name for profits! :evil:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:58 pm
well, I'm sure we'll soon find out. As we learned with the Coca-cola scandal last year, Yao is no weakling when it comes to people exploiting his name! :lol:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 7:47 pm
well, despite a slight twinge of ethics, I checked it out. No worries, guys. It's got cool graphics, I'll admit, but it's pretty thin. Of course, it's just starting...
There's no forum, thus no posters to come up with hidden gems otherwise lost to those of us who can't surf the net all day. There is a journal section, but we get translations from our dear Pry and Sinobball (and sometimes Oolong :D ) Also, there's no pics that I can find as yet (and we all know how important pics are to xraymom! :oops: )
So, all in all, John and Yaomingmania are still the BEST for Yao fans. And until Yao himself says he likes his new site, I'm not touching it! (well, maybe I'll just peek...)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 8:55 pm
hmmm.... :?
Looks like Yao knows about it. I read a quote where he said he was excited about it. I guess most members of a club pay dues, right? I don't know... it doesn't sit right with me.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 9:19 pm
User avatarPosts: 3406Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm
pryuen wrote:
What do you guys think about this ???

Personally think this is a dumb and dump idea of the Team Yao. WHY should have they concurred to such an arrangement ?? :shock: :evil: :x :twisted: I'd rather stay here with YMM !!!

like you, i think this is very dumb; inconsistent w Team Yao's past dealings.

imo, had Team had exercise due dilligence, it would have realized that YMM is the best YM site, bar none.

a more "win-win" / effective approach would have been to form some type of alliance w YMM

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:25 pm
Some of the design of the new site looks similar to that of
http://www.yaoming.net
especially the color scheme and the shape of the buttons on the web page. Any relations between them?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:33 am
i just noticed that the DY-analysis on that page is the same as YMM's.
Take a look..
http://www.yaomingfanclub.com/content.asp?pageid=4
http://www.yaomingmania.com/04_04_04_vs_kings.html

did john allow his work to be reproduced? :?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 4:00 am
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
xraymom wrote:
Looks like Yao knows about it. I read a quote where he said he was excited about it. I guess most members of a club pay dues, right? I don't know... it doesn't sit right with me.

Did Yao know the fans would have to pay for it when he said he was excited?

Offline Profile