<  Yao and me  ~  YAO MING INTERNET FAN CLUB AT A FEE ????

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:13 pm
User avatarPosts: 2949Location: xraymom saysJoined: Thu May 22, 2003 11:52 am
OOLONG48 wrote:
xraymom wrote:
hmmm.... :?
Looks like Yao knows about it. I read a quote where he said he was excited about it. I guess most members of a club pay dues, right? I don't know... it doesn't sit right with me.
hmmm.... :?

Did Yao know the fans would have to pay for it when he said he was excited?

That's what I'm hoping, that he doesn't know all the details. Still, it seems odd that he wouldn't know all the details before he allows it to be launched.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:37 pm
User avatarPosts: 2540Location: HKSARJoined: Thu May 29, 2003 1:07 am
:cry:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:01 pm
User avatarPosts: 213Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:34 pm
I think overall it is a fine idea, but the artilce is a little biased. Here is what I found on it:

The Dallas Texas based Internet and Marketing Agency, The Calvert Group re-affirmed plans for the CLUB YAO web site. According to Agency President, Randall Calvert, the club will have different membership levels to appeal to different types of fans. "The core of CLUB YAO will always be the free fan site that allows fans access to information, chat rooms, statistics, games and sweepstakes for prizes like a trip to a Rockets Games."

"Fans really like to show their support for their favorite player" said Calvert. "In the fall, there will be an opportunity for fans to purchase different packages of CLUB YAO merchandise. They will also get access to "special areas" of the web site for live chat's with Yao and other features. With the different levels we can let the fan choose the area that is best for them."

So, it gives you an option. I personally will like to pay for Yao's merchandise and privilege to chat with him as long as it doesn't cost me a leg. Probably there will be less Yao-bashers but more unrational if it ever has a forum. I had been to yaomingnet a few times, but I hate it, so many people don't know a thing about basketball.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
tanhuan wrote:
So, it gives you an option. I personally will like to pay for Yao's merchandise and privilege to chat with him as long as it doesn't cost me a leg. Probably there will be less Yao-bashers but more unrational if it ever has a forum. I had been to yaomingnet a few times, but I hate it, so many people don't know a thing about basketball.

Well, agreed with you that the yaoming.net chatroom just sux.....particularly so as it recently changed format to become connected to the other chatrooms of sohu.com. You need to sign up as a sohu user simultaneously to be able to get into the yaoming.net chatroom. And the chatroom is soooooooo poorly organized now, that you will have difficulty to trace or track down what new or old topics that Yao Ming initated or responded to.

The worst things though is that in the new formatted chatroom, they have taken away the search function that used to be there that you can search for only those posts that were contributed by Yao Ming.

That yaoming.net chatroom now just completely sux, and I'm no longer interested to check that up for Yao Ming's posts !!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 5:48 pm
Posts: 2735Location: Houston, TexasJoined: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:43 pm
Pry, so how are we going to know what Yao himself is saying to his fans?
Your translations provide an excellent insight into Yao's feedback to his legions of fans when we at YMM do not have that direct communication medium with him......
:shock:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 213Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:34 pm
pryuen wrote:
tanhuan wrote:

Well, agreed with you that the yaoming.net chatroom just sux.....particularly so as it recently changed format to become connected to the other chatrooms of sohu.com. You need to sign up as a sohu user simultaneously to be able to get into the yaoming.net chatroom. And the chatroom is soooooooo poorly organized now, that you will have difficulty to trace or track down what new or old topics that Yao Ming initated or responded to.

The worst things though is that in the new formatted chatroom, they have taken away the search function that used to be there that you can search for only those posts that were contributed by Yao Ming.

That yaoming.net chatroom now just completely sux, and I'm no longer interested to check that up for Yao Ming's posts !!!!

I hadn't been there lately. I went to there only to check out what Yao has to say about his game. Since you work so hard, I almost never need to go there again :wink: . But now, they took out the search function! Damn, do I have to go through those moronic posts to find a sentence of Yao? This sucks :evil:. Why can't john work with sohu and let YMM became Yao's official English website, they already borrow many stuff from here.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 4:58 pm
I don't understand it. John started this site two years ago, poured his sweat and tears into all the analysis, updates, research, etc. All for free to anyone who loves Yao. YaoMingMania was voted one of the top 5 sports-nut websites, and never once has Team Yao recognized all of John's hard work. :evil:
He always said he'******* YMM full-time if it ever started paying his bills. I guess with the fancy new website that you have to PAY for, it never will. Sorry, John... but we're still here!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:28 am
pryuen wrote:
What do you guys think about this ???

Personally think this is a dumb and dump idea of the Team Yao. WHY should have they concurred to such an arrangement ?? :shock: :evil: :x :twisted:

I'd rather stay here with YMM !!!

Sports Business News wrote:

Being a fan of Yao Ming can be costly

[i]Being a Yao Ming fan will have a price.

Yao has plenty of potential fan-club members. He got more All-Star votes than the Lakers' Shaquille O'Neal in online fan balloting the past two seasons.

Yao's fan club will enable his marketing agents to assemble his worldwide fans in one database. That information will be valuable when negotiating endorsement contracts with companies, said Brandon Steiner, president of Steiner Sports Marketing in New Rochelle, New York.

it smells fishy if you ask me. so let me get this straight. they store your personal info for their use and ask you to pay for it? that's some good business mind!

ps. yao DID NOT get more online votes than shaq for the all star game, at least not for the 03-04 season. that's what shaq claims that yao got start because he has more fans in China.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2004 11:47 pm
User avatarPosts: 657Location: USAJoined: Tue Jul 29, 2003 4:12 am
I am not sure if Yao Ming knows the entire truth behind the business scheme of his said fan club -- i.e. the greed behind Team Yao may propel the use of deception even against Yao himself. It is quite simple for a member of Team Yao to tell the 7'6' giant that charging for fan club membership is (a) standard business practice, (b) needed to protect your image and name-sake, (c) ideal for charity, etc. Either that or simply it is within Yao's contract to charge fan club fees. It could be that his signing with various companies has allowed them to control how his image is used for profit, marketing, or charity, including fan club organizations.

My foundation for this argument draws from the Nike-Yao fallout. Nike reportedly was willing to offer Yao a significantly larger contract deal than LeBron James, which would have pushed Yao as the highest paid celebrity on the shoe company's payroll. Instead, Yao chose Reebok based on principles, morals, and trust -- something the All-Star center refuses to elaborate. Thus, Yao, as we all know, is not looking to make chump change from his fans; at least, not from any indication. I am confident that if Yao fans start to protest, a significant portion of this fee will be stripped.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:19 pm
I just popped in to see what was going on over there. What happened??? There's nothing new since we first heard about it! Nothing about Yao lighting the fire, nothing about the Special Olympics. Did they quit??? :shock:

Offline Profile