Author Message

<  Yao and me  ~  Yao Ming = Borderline Stiff. Here's reasons why

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:04 am
Posts: 760Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:27 pm
TechieTwo wrote:

Dude, you just changed your entire stance with that listing and statement. You called out Yao as a borderline stiff in spite of his impact as a player (see your own points 1-4 in the 2nd list). Those points were you own otherwise as you put it -->"Yao would be a full-blown stiff, by any definition". Should those qualities/skillz/impact apply to Curry/Dampier and the rest of the your list??? Because most of them certainly wouldn't rank too high.

It appears to me that you completely ignored it when you made your list of players. Your trying to separate athletism and actual offensive/defensive impact which was the basis of your own argument in your initial post.

Try to keep your story straight.

cheers.


I didn't change any stances. All those players I listed fulfill almost if not all of the points 1-7 I listed previously. You don't think Dirk is way faster and more mobile than Yao? You don't think Dampier is a better rebounder, faster jumper, and more powerful than Yao? You don't think Nene is more athletic than Yao? You don't think Rasheed plays better defense than Yao? You don't think Gasol jumps ball for his team whereas Yao doesn't? Every single one of those players I listed is faster, stronger, and better jumpers than Yao.

And PLEASE don't talk as if those 10 players I listed are slouches on offense. The lowest scoring player in that list is Dampier at 12ppg and he's not near the #1 scoring option on his team. When you consider Dampier's average is 12points 12 rebounds per game, you have to give him a little more slack than saying "OOOH he only scores 12 ppg he's a stiff!" The average ppg of those players I listed is probably around 18ppg which is around what Yao scores.

So based on my points listed 1-7, those players are NOT stiffs, nor border-line stiffs.

Let me explain my post a little bit better so you can understand. When a player is called a "stiff" that reflects on his athletic prowess as a player. None of the 10 players I named are called "stiffs" by any rational basketball fan. Why? they are athletic. Noone can deny that. So just because Dampier cannot hit an outside jumper as well as Yao doesn't mean that makes Dampier a stiff. Dampier ISNT a stiff because he fulfills points 1-7 which are related to athleticism, which is the widely accepted definition of the term "stiff" in the first place.

Case in point. Rik Smits was considered a stiff even though he could shoot the ball really well. Shaq is not considered a stiff even though his FG% outside the paint is like 20%

So your attempt at validating my second list of points 1-4 is to no avail because you apparently didn't understand it in the first place.


End, set, match.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:10 am
User avatarPosts: 636Location: Expect more than others think is possible.Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:38 am
chinatown wrote:
trickdaddy1319 wrote:
FFz wrote:
name 5 "players 7 footers and above mostly playing Center or PF" in the nba thats not what u consider a boarderline stiff or a stiff.

and with the exception of Shaq, Yao is better than them all.


Gasol
Duncan
Garnett (6'11)
Shaq (ummm...yeah, we mentioned him)
Curry (6'11)
Rasheed Wallace (6'11)
Nowitski (hmmm...you could argue he's a SF...)
Nene (6'11)
Camby (6'11)
Dampier (6'11 and fairly stiff)

To name a few.


BTW, Yao is 7'6. Historically the only players over 7'2 who weren't stiffs are Ralph Sampson and Old School Sabonis.


Right on CT. TrickGirl, you don't compare 6'6 players w/ 6'11 or 7 footers, so why compare the latter w' 7'6 guys. Yao is special for his size. Let' stop all this hate towards the big fella. Like I said before, what did he ever do to you or your mama? Yao is like Jackie Robinson in his day. He is a pioneer. When Yao first started playing in the league, some announcers would say his name in a mock chinese accent and who knows what taunts he rec'd from the fans. Despite all this, society has embraced him and so have NBA fans of all colors. What he has done is awesome and he's no stiff at 7'6. I'll name you other guys who were 7'6, Bradley, Bol, Muresan and Podkolzine. What's the connection? All stiffs. Is Yao ten times better than all these guys? Hell yeah. Like what they would say on ESPN, can a brother get some love?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:05 am
Posts: 146Location: Frisco/CAJoined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:44 pm
trickdaddy1319 wrote:
TechieTwo wrote:

Dude, you just changed your entire stance with that listing and statement. You called out Yao as a borderline stiff in spite of his impact as a player (see your own points 1-4 in the 2nd list). Those points were you own otherwise as you put it -->"Yao would be a full-blown stiff, by any definition". Should those qualities/skillz/impact apply to Curry/Dampier and the rest of the your list??? Because most of them certainly wouldn't rank too high.

It appears to me that you completely ignored it when you made your list of players. Your trying to separate athletism and actual offensive/defensive impact which was the basis of your own argument in your initial post.

Try to keep your story straight.

cheers.


So based on my points listed 1-7, those players are NOT stiffs, nor border-line stiffs.

Let me explain my post a little bit better so you can understand. When a player is called a "stiff" that reflects on his athletic prowess as a player. None of the 10 players I named are called "stiffs" by any rational basketball fan. Why? they are athletic. Noone can deny that. So just because Dampier cannot hit an outside jumper as well as Yao doesn't mean that makes Dampier a stiff. Dampier ISNT a stiff because he fulfills points 1-7 which are related to athleticism, which is the widely accepted definition of the term "stiff" in the first place.

Case in point. Rik Smits was considered a stiff even though he could shoot the ball really well. Shaq is not considered a stiff even though his FG% outside the paint is like 20%

So your attempt at validating my second list of points 1-4 is to no avail because you apparently didn't understand it in the first place.


End, set, match.


You contradicted yourself in your OWN post.

Quote "So your attempt at validating my second list of points 1-4 is to no avail because you apparently didn't understand it in the first place."

while above "Let me explain my post a little bit better so you can understand. When a player is called a "stiff" that reflects on his athletic prowess as a player. "

The truth of the matter is that you brought the second list 1-4 into the equation of why that makes him a borderline stiff but yet you are choosing now not use that any longer. Once you did that you questioned Yao's not just physical abilities but Yao's actual impact to the game and on the court. If seems you failed to realized what you did in your own post.

IF you had clearly stated this in your initial post "When a player is called a "stiff" that reflects on his athletic prowess as a player. "

I doubt we'll be having 20+ postings on this subject matter. Cuz majority of the fans realized he's not the most athletic person and yet still a very effective player into the game.

Cheers.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:15 am
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
trickdaddy1319 wrote:
[And PLEASE don't talk as if those 10 players I listed are slouches on offense. The lowest scoring player in that list is Dampier at 12ppg and he's not near the #1 scoring option on his team. When you consider Dampier's average is 12points 12 rebounds per game, you have to give him a little more slack than saying "OOOH he only scores 12 ppg he's a stiff!"


So if somebody does 12/12 he not a stiff, but if Yao does 17/9 he's a stiff?


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:50 am
Posts: 760Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:27 pm
HarmLess wrote:
trickdaddy1319 wrote:
[And PLEASE don't talk as if those 10 players I listed are slouches on offense. The lowest scoring player in that list is Dampier at 12ppg and he's not near the #1 scoring option on his team. When you consider Dampier's average is 12points 12 rebounds per game, you have to give him a little more slack than saying "OOOH he only scores 12 ppg he's a stiff!"


So if somebody does 12/12 he not a stiff, but if Yao does 17/9 he's a stiff?


OMG you still missed the point. You're hopeless.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:59 am
Posts: 82Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2003 12:17 am
guys c'mon quit bothering trick, man. He's got his opinions and y'all got yours, it's obvious none of you will be able to convince him to "switch sides" or to give in. Plus he's got a few valid points and he seems to be intelligent and he hasn't raised his voice. He's alright.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:00 am
Posts: 760Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:27 pm
TechieTwo wrote:


I doubt we'll be having 20+ postings on this subject matter. Cuz majority of the fans realized he's not the most athletic person and yet still a very effective player into the game.

Cheers.


That's where you're wrong. Most of the people on this board still think Yao is very athletic. They make excuses for all his shortcomings. Example:
When I said Yao has bad stamina people said "No he doesn't you trickwhore! he just played in 34 minutes out of 40 vs New Zealand! You don't know sh*t!" and a million other excuses.

If most people on this board were in agreement with you there wouldn't be 22 pages to this thread.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:17 am
User avatarPosts: 7215Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
So your definition of a stiff is dependant on athleticism is that true? Because if thats the case then Manute Bol wasn't a stiff. Would you agree to that?

Dictionary.com defines stiff as "difficult to bend; rigid". I don't see the word athleticism anywhere.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:21 am
Posts: 146Location: Frisco/CAJoined: Thu Oct 02, 2003 12:44 pm
trickdaddy1319 wrote:
TechieTwo wrote:


I doubt we'll be having 20+ postings on this subject matter. Cuz majority of the fans realized he's not the most athletic person and yet still a very effective player into the game.

Cheers.


That's where you're wrong. Most of the people on this board still think Yao is very athletic. They make excuses for all his shortcomings. Example:
When I said Yao has bad stamina people said "No he doesn't you trickwhore! he just played in 34 minutes out of 40 vs New Zealand! You don't know sh*t!" and a million other excuses.

If most people on this board were in agreement with you there wouldn't be 22 pages to this thread.


No I believe that there wouldn't be 22 pages if you had clearly stated what you said and perhaps been more objective like in your previous post
then there would be only say 10 pages. Then again I could be wrong but I do know that there would have been one less poster ! :P


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:07 pm
Posts: 760Joined: Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:27 pm
tharock220 wrote:
So your definition of a stiff is dependant on athleticism is that true? Because if thats the case then Manute Bol wasn't a stiff. Would you agree to that?

Dictionary.com defines stiff as "difficult to bend; rigid". I don't see the word athleticism anywhere.


rofl now you're really desperate. Use common sense if you have any.


Offline Profile

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 22 of 26
259 posts
Go to page Previous  1 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
cron