<  Yao and me  ~  How many of us can DUNK?!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:34 am
I am 187cm with shoes and i could dunk a tennis ball and dunk a volleyball 20% of the time.

My hops were really improving (i was doing plyometrics for 3 months and my vertical improved by like 15 cm), but then i ****** up my knee - playing soccer. Which i later found out is very common after a hard day on the squart machine.

To the guy who can nearly dunk. DO PLYOMETRICS. That is power based weight training. Whereby u lift a medium weight as quickly as u can control. ITs proven to be best for improving hops and general explosive movements.

I'm going back onto the weights in 3 or 4 months when my knee is healed 100%.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 3:06 pm
Chuck__187 wrote:
DO PLYOMETRICS.

yup. plyo and squats really help.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 7215Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
When I was in high school I could get up there fairly easily, but I've gained about 50 lbs since then. So now I can dunk when I'm just playing around or if I'm running down court with nobody in front of me but just with one hand. I can't just get off that ground and punch when I'm under the basket and people are all around me. I can get up for the occasional ally if the throw is good.

I'm only 22 also so I probably won't be able to do it much longer if I don't get back into shape.

If you want to be able to dunk just building up your cavs won't work. You have to strengthen the fast twitch muscles in legs. Plyometrics does that as some people here already know.

[/url]http://www.homestead.com/basketballskills/verticalexercises.html[url]

There was another page I found a few years ago for a friend of mine. Also get a jumprope and try to lose a little weight. I doesn't hurt to build some muscle either. So if you're lifting weights do clean and jerks to help your explosiveness. I'm sure someone hear knows more about this than I do so please post something.

Last edited by tharock220 on Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:21 pm
How tall are you?

P.S.: I hope the 50 lbs. you gained are all muscle. :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 7215Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
Red Sox wrote:
How tall are you?

I wish it was dude. I went away to college and stopped playing as much. I started eating a lot of fast food so now I'm a lot heavier. Just a warning to you kids. I used to eat a ton and never gained weight, but as you get older you can't eat like that and expect to stay thin.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:49 pm
User avatarPosts: 554Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am
sh!t man, I stuffed my knee doing squats as well, you reckon it takes months to heal fully? fark, maybe I shouldn't ignore it and do something else...

Anybody with some workout tips to improve physique for bball?

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:12 pm
kenghis wrote:
sh!t man, I stuffed my knee doing squats as well

were you doing the squats the wrong way? or were u just doing too much?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 8:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 554Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am
Red Sox wrote:
kenghis wrote:
sh!t man, I stuffed my knee doing squats as well

were you doing the squats the wrong way? or were u just doing too much?

My gym instructor said that is was the correct position so I'm assuming it was ok. I don't think I did too much though but I was doing alot of leg press machines (45 and 90 degrees) before I started doing squats... :cry:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:20 pm
Posts: 1502Location: San Diego CAJoined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm
tharock220 wrote:
Red Sox wrote:
How tall are you?

I wish it was dude. I went away to college and stopped playing as much. I started eating a lot of fast food so now I'm a lot heavier. Just a warning to you kids. I used to eat a ton and never gained weight, but as you get older you can't eat like that and expect to stay thin.

Don't say it ain't so!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:00 am
User avatarPosts: 1725Location: West BankJoined: Mon Mar 03, 2003 9:11 am
How tall is that goal and how tall are you?

Offline Profile