<  Yao and me  ~  How many of us can DUNK?!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:38 pm
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
a quick off the dribble jump shot is sufficient against someone your size or maybe 3 inches taller than you, but when u play people taller, its impossible to get a shot off and actually aim, or maybe i'm just not shooting fast enough.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:10 pm
The best I've done was touching the rim (standard height) while attempting a dunk. The ball went in, but it definitely was not a dunk. That was 16 years ago, and I've not attempted to grab the rim for the last 5 years or more. I'm 6'1" with limited leaping ability. As someone else mentioned basketball is not based solely on jumping ability. I could beat someone who could dunk one one one once a while. Experience and skill count a lot too.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:08 pm
User avatarPosts: 438Location: The worldJoined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:46 pm
I would like to dunk but I'm 5'7" with average hops.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 3:38 pm
User avatarPosts: 213Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:17 pm
Im 5'8" and i can dunk on my dorm room mini-basketball rim.

I don't exercise much so i dont believe i can dunk it down on a real court.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:11 pm
If you are just playign recreational, the best thing to do is to buff up and then freakin' bulldoze ur way to the rim. No such thing as an offensive foul hahaha. Just bump guys away with your butt and your shoulder and you will be wide open under the rim. I used to play finesse, but now, when I see a finesse skinny player guarding me, my eyes light up hahaha.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 4:50 pm
Posts: 101Location: NJ, USAJoined: Thu Sep 30, 2004 1:42 pm
HarmLess wrote:
rai wrote:
I'm 5'9" (175cm) with a 7'3" reach and 175 pounds. When I was younger, I was able to dunk tennis balls and the little miniature basketballs. I was able to grab the rims with two hands front and backward when I was warmed up. I had about a 36" vertical leap without the ball. But, when I hold the ball I can not get up that high. I am a two-foot leaper, like Dominique Wilkins and I need to swing my arms behind me like a volleyball player. I can not jump as high now since I hurt my back. I can still occasionally hit the rim. But, it takes much more effort and warmups.

You're 5'9" and you've got a 7'3" REACH??????

Dude you might have made a typo there... With arms that long you'd look like a gorilla....

i think he means can reach 7'3 when he puts his hands up

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:05 pm
i dunked it senior year in high school. I was 5'6'' 150 back then. But i still got cut. DUnking is cool. too bad its only worth 2 points. My cousin was with me when i did it. I just went baseline and jumped as high as i could. my cousin kinda thought i was some dude he saw on the NBA highlight reel. He told me to do a tomahawk. I jumped from the inner circle of the paint and did a tomahawk. The higher you can jump chances are the quicker you are. I had a jumpshot to compliment that also. True story by the way.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 438Location: The worldJoined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:46 pm
Yaoismadmobile wrote:
i dunked it senior year in high school. I was 5'6'' 150 back then. But i still got cut. DUnking is cool. too bad its only worth 2 points. My cousin was with me when i did it. I just went baseline and jumped as high as i could. my cousin kinda thought i was some dude he saw on the NBA highlight reel. He told me to do a tomahawk. I jumped from the inner circle of the paint and did a tomahawk. The higher you can jump chances are the quicker you are. I had a jumpshot to compliment that also. True story by the way.

5'6"!?

:o :o :o

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:08 pm
User avatarPosts: 1027Joined: Sun Sep 19, 2004 10:06 am
I remembered the first time I dunked was in my 3rd grade. I was about 4'11 and just jumped over an adult for a 360 behind the back blindfulled killer-crossover-in-the-air dunk.

Then I didn't think too much about it. Then later in high school I normally would jump over the top of the hoop and just land on the top of the board to shoot from there. Normally I wouldn't dunk cuz it's pointless. Back then I was about 5'1.

My favorite move now is the 3pt line dunk, one which involves me taking off from the NBA 3pt line and jumping over a few of the opponents and land with a reverse jam. Oh, I'm just about 5'10 now.

I hate to be able to jump so high.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:51 pm
ChineseGuy wrote:
Yaoismadmobile wrote:

5'6"!?

:o :o :o

Yea, but he didn't say how high the net was....

Offline Profile