<  Yao and me  ~  Dissapointment in the development of Yao

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 3993Location: ChinaJoined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:47 am
Can you still remember Yao's first season, where Yao used his unbelievable footwork, basketball intelligence to create highlights after highlights of moves that we have never seen before. That skinny Yao who showed flashes of brilliance as he was destined to inherit the throne of basketball. Now, look at Yao, staying in the paint all day, the same moves every single time, 1 block every game, slow and overweight. they have made a brilliant and unique basketball talent into a fake shaquille. the yao u see today is not the same yao that walked onto the nba hardwood 2 seasons ago. I miss the old Yao.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:28 am
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
One word: EWING

Get rid of him!!!! :twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:52 am
great observation

yep, get hakeem and get rid of the entire ny gang

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:32 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Did you guys realize the following FACT??? When the NBA announced the weights of the NBA players in the entire league a couple of days back, Yao Ming came second to Shaquille O'Neal. He is 310 lb compared to Shaq's 325 lb. :shock:

I tend to think that to put on bulk, it had compromised Yao Ming's agility and finesse. That is the trade-off when JVG and his coaching staff look to crone a fake Shaq, i.e. a pure power centre that could only slam dunk, rebound and block shots down the post rather than to make full use of the talents of Yao Ming more as a finesse type of centre that can shoot, rebound, block shots, dribble and pass. :oops: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am
User avatarPosts: 3406Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm
pryuen wrote:

[color=red][i][b]I tend to think that to put on bulk, it had compromised Yao Ming's agility and finesse. That is the trade-off
when JVG and his coaching staff look to crone a fake Shaq, i.e. a pure power centre that could only slam dunk, rebound and block shots down the post rather than to make full use of the talents of Yao Ming more as a finesse type of centre that can shoot, rebound, block shots, dribble and pass.
i think you're off-base w that narrow view; kind of contradictory.

Yao needs to add new dimension---the power game--to his repetoire.

absent that added dimension, his game is too predicitable., which makes it easy for opponents to defend him:
    as demonstrated by his difficulties w D team and fronting defense
    inability to sustain consecutive good games

Adding a power game doesnot mean that he use it exclsively.

A power game, adds a new element of surprise to the opponents. It opens up more space for his finesse game. Without a dependable power game, it has become increasing easy for his defender to suffocate Yao, not allowing him to use his finesse game.

Yao w a dependable game means, to he defender, pick your poison:[list]deny his finesse game or
deny his power moves

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:55 am
User avatarPosts: 3406Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2003 10:22 pm
pryuen wrote:
...I tend to think that to put on bulk, it had compromised Yao Ming's agility and finesse. That is the trade-off when JVG and his coaching staff look to crone a fake Shaq, i.e. a pure power centre that could only slam dunk, rebound and block shots down the post rather than to make full use of the talents of Yao Ming more as a finesse type of centre that can shoot, rebound, block shots, dribble and pass.
i think you're off-base w that narrow view; you assume that his opponent will let him use his finesse skills. it seems to me that you want Yao to continue to play"polite" BB. i know you're a fan of wZZ, but why do you want to limit Yao success in the NBA, down to ZZ's level?

Yao shows power moves, from time to time, but not frequent enough to be a dependable component of his overall game. he needs to add new dimension---the power game--to his repetoire. absent that added dimension, his game is too predicitable., which makes it easier for opponents to defend him, as demonstrated by his continuing difficulties:
    :arrow: handling D team and fronting defense
    :arrow: sustaining consecutive good games---consistency
Adding a power game doesnot mean that he use it exclusively. A power game, adds a new element of surprise to the opponents. It opens up more space for his finesse game. Without a dependable power game, it has become increasing easy for his defender to suffocate Yao, not allowing him to use his finesse game.

In his rookie year, Yao had demonstrated great finesse moves along the baseline. since the 2nd half of his rookie year, those baseline moves are longer available to him. Once Yao demonstrates a dependable power game, that baseline is more available to him.

Yao w a dependable power game means, to his opponents, pick your poison:
    deny his finesse game or
    deny his power moves

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 4:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
BBlock12000

Did you read my post carefully ??

Did I say anywhere in my post that adding power to Yao Ming original finesse game is detrimental to his development ? :shock:

All I'm saying is that it was a
trade-off that fans have to accept. By putting on weights/muscles, it had somewhat compromised Yao Ming's agility and finesse, that all the exciting footwork, dribblings that NYC Yao Fan in UMich witnessed in his rookie season is now a rare sight.

WHY do you have to bring out the WZZ stuff to ridicule me, if you have not deciphered my post properly?? :evil:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:45 pm
User avatarPosts: 7215Location: Austin, TX Home of the RoseBowl Champions and NCAA basketball champions.Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2004 5:24 am
Pry Yao had to add some muscle. Being strong is a requirement today have any sort of longevity in today's NBA. Iverson refused to add muscle and look where he's heading.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 6:30 am
User avatarPosts: 4900Location: PhilippinesJoined: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:06 pm
pryuen wrote:
Did you guys realize the following FACT??? When the NBA announced the weights of the NBA players in the entire league a couple of days back, Yao Ming came second to Shaquille O'Neal. He is 310 lb compared to Shaq's 325 lb. :shock:

I tend to think that to put on bulk, it had compromised Yao Ming's agility and finesse. That is the trade-off when JVG and his coaching staff look to crone a fake Shaq, i.e. a pure power centre that could only slam dunk, rebound and block shots down the post rather than to make full use of the talents of Yao Ming more as a finesse type of centre that can shoot, rebound, block shots, dribble and pass. :oops: :wink:

I doubt it was the extra weight Pry. Adding 10lbs of muscle should actually make Yao quicker. IMHO, it is the way the Rox management is trying to mold Yao into an Ewing that is hurting his play...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2004 9:06 pm
NYC Yao Fan in UMich wrote:
Can you still remember Yao's first season, where Yao used his unbelievable footwork, basketball intelligence to create highlights after highlights of moves that we have never seen before. That skinny Yao who showed flashes of brilliance as he was destined to inherit the throne of basketball. Now, look at Yao, staying in the paint all day, the same moves every single time, 1 block every game, slow and overweight. they have made a brilliant and unique basketball talent into a fake shaquille. the yao u see today is not the same yao that walked onto the nba hardwood 2 seasons ago. I miss the old Yao.
Me too I have offten wondered whether the increased muscle mass and weight gain was having more of a negative effect then positive especially this year.

Offline Profile