<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Great article on Yao's Rookie Of The YEar campaign

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 11:57 pm
User avatarPosts: 370Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:08 am
This article is from the Houston Chronicle

'Time is Yao' campaign in hyperdrive
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
The Rockets last week sent little Yao Mings to the 125 voters for the Rookie of the Year award.

Mini Ming is dunking and will fit nicely in any home, office or boat -- or anywhere else someone chooses to cast his ballot.

Apparently, these little standup acrylic photo cutouts of athletes are the next big thing in the collectible world, soon to nudge out bobbleheads and (thankfully) Celebriducks.

The idea, of course, is to help Yao be named Rookie of the Year. The back of the cutout includes his campaign platform, assorted statistics and accomplishments. Other "Time is Yao" data have been sent electronically for weeks.

Eventually, the little guy will be thrown in a drawer with the Elton Brand Tide box and Kevin Garnett license plate. But the Rockets' concern about just how to handle a campaign might offer a good glimpse into the sorts of things that might work for and against Yao.

The Rockets' concern was that if they did too much -- they considered mailing out videos -- there could be a backlash about the amount of attention (hype?) Yao has received. The media instinct is to suspect that sort of influence on something as subjective as a vote. There is nothing new about discovering Yao Ming. News people do tend to prefer new.

With this in mind, Heat coach and president Pat Riley made his appeal for his guy, Caron Butler.

"There is no doubt (Butler) is a legitimate candidate and I think he should garner great attention and respect," Riley said. "But the reality is that we aren't on national television, a lot of people don't see him and we're not a team that politics like crazy."

They are sending daily e-mails, counting down the top 10 reasons to vote for Butler.

Suns general manager Bryan Colangelo stumped via e-mail for Amare Stoudemire, extolling his bountiful virtues as a player and human being. The Suns also sent a package that included a video and DVD, with a two-page information sheet. They also set up a Web site, Thatsamare.net.

Each team, of course, is absolutely convinced its guy is by far the obvious choice. They are very wrong. A good argument can be made for each.

Butler has carried his team, Stoudemire revived his, Yao saved his. They are different enough and outstanding enough that personal taste might justifiably be the determining factor.

But it probably won't be.

The incredible attention paid to Yao could help his cause or kill it, but it cannot be ignored. He is the only rookie on the magazine covers, in the commercials, hanging out with the commissioner and his vice presidents.

He is also the only rookie given the Michael Jordan treatment in every city his team visits.

Without question, Yao has also become the focus of opposing teams' efforts far beyond Stoudemire and Butler. Players, from Kobe Bryant to Dikembe Mutombo, live to show him up or beat him up.

That probably should be weighed when considering Yao's accomplishments, but that same attention also can bring questions about how much of his reputation is based on hype.

The media vote and the media must arm themselves with a fair dose of skepticism. If Butler's late-season run attracts votes, it might earn the notice of those who did not want to vote for the coverboy. Others might consider the race close enough to use the playoffs as a tiebreaker, logic the Heat have argued as unfair because Butler cannot be expected to make their roster less dreadful.

Still, there are plenty of reasons to vote for each. So the teams send out their little reminders, as if all of this really matters.

But as a service to teams weighing how much to campaign, just to be clear, those goodies are the key. Keep them coming. The more valuable, the better.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:41 pm
There is absolutely no question, no doubt, that Yao is ROY. If he does not win it I swear I'll stop following NBA all together. The only question now is whether Yao will win by the largest margin in NBA history. I say if all the voters got their heads screwed on right, Yao should win uanimously. But there are always those who thinks they know better...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2003 1:51 am
Posts: 102Location: OrlandoJoined: Wed Apr 02, 2003 9:16 pm
likemindeddude,

Hey,dude,

Who..is..that..girl?

she..looks..good.

yeah,she..does.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 7:13 am
[url]http://www.timesstar.com/Stories/0,1413,125~11080~1309549,00.html
[/url]

"YAO MING AND AMARE STOUDEMIRE: Many players in the NBA still think the Rookie of the Year award is up for grabs, to which I say phooey. Stoudemire has played like he's 30 instead of 20, but Yao learned a new language, faced ridiculous media attention and pressure from China and still improved as the season went on. I remember how much the U.S. players wanted to take the No.1 draft pick's head off in that exhibition game in Oakland last summer. He didn't buckle and the pros all came away immediately impressed. Stoudemire is great. Yao is special. "

Yang, you're right. She looks really good! :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:12 am
ROY is awarded based on which rookie had the most impact on a team and really on nothing else, so the voters may not take into consideration yao's culture shock. Even so, there is no doubt that yao had the most impact on his team than any other rookie. Yao is the top runner in nearly all stat categories among rookies, and he is the ONLY rookie that draws double teams, which shows the respect other teams give him, and he gets his numbers being double teamed certainly is worth a few votes.

Off topic, that pic of LMD sure is cute (you should check out LMD's sister, she's one hottie too!) but I'm starting to wonder, how can a young, hot babe like LMD knows SOOOOO MUCH about BBall??? I've never in my life met a gal (or many guys for that matter) that knows 1/10th as much about bball as LMD, let alone a pretty young girl. I hope I'm wrong because it sure is dry if this site is full of regular, male NBA nut like me, but it's a good chance that LMD is really a 20-40 year old male that likes that pretend to be a cute young girl like in countless other forums... (no offense LMD! just expressing my thoughts! :wink: )

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:32 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
GoYao wrote:
ROY is awarded based on which rookie had the most impact on a team and really on nothing else, so the voters may not take into consideration yao's culture shock. Even so, there is no doubt that yao had the most impact on his team than any other rookie. Yao is the top runner in nearly all stat categories among rookies, and he is the ONLY rookie that draws double teams, which shows the respect other teams give him, and he gets his numbers being double teamed certainly is worth a few votes.

Off topic, that pic of LMD sure is cute (you should check out LMD's sister, she's one hottie too!) but I'm starting to wonder, how can a young, hot babe like LMD knows SOOOOO MUCH about BBall??? I've never in my life met a gal (or many guys for that matter) that knows 1/10th as much about bball as LMD, let alone a pretty young girl. I hope I'm wrong because it sure is dry if this site is full of regular, male NBA nut like me, but it's a good chance that LMD is really a 20-40 year old male that likes that pretend to be a cute young girl like in countless other forums... (no offense LMD! just expressing my thoughts! :wink: )

If you talked about impact and contribution to a team, has any other Rookie contributed in the same level as Yao to the Rockets? The Rockets was a no-body last years. But with Yao Ming, look at the Rockets:

1. They are contending for #8 spot for the playoff. They were nowhere near playoff in the past 4 to 5 seasons even with Steve Francis.

2. More importantly, commercial wise, the attendence of the Rockets had porpelled to new heights, and in turn, it was a most profitable season for the Rockets in term of the gate receipts, as well as revenue from all other sources.

3. Because of Yao Ming, the Rockets is also becoming one of the most popular NBA team internationally, or at least here in this part of the world.

Besides, tell me, who other Rookies had been treated with that kind of celebrity treatment everywhere he goes, that kind of media exposure, and dinner invitation by David Stern :?: :?: :?:

MY VOTE OF ROY GOES TO YAO. PERIOD.

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 11:40 am
The "impact on a team" only pertains to the team winning games, no other "impact" matters to the ROY voters (at least they should not). So even if Yao created a world-wide sensation but another rookie outperform yao on the court and "impacted" the team in the way that they won more games, then the voters will and should vote for that rookie.

Fortunately, yao IS that rookie, he SHOULD and WILL win ROY. If not I'll shoot David Stern...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 4:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
HURRAY !!! ImageImageImage

Yao Ming shot back into #1 in the latest Rookie Power Rankings as of April 8, 2003, just released on the official NBA.com.

http://www.nba.com/milk_rookie/power_ra ... 30408.html

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 5:56 pm
User avatarPosts: 370Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:08 am
Everyone check out ESPN. They finally gave their opinion on who should win the League awards, and under ROY, they listed Yao as their sole choice. When they mentioned Amare, they said that although Amare Stoudamare has wonderful skills and has made the unexpected leap from high-school to the NBA with little struggle, the award is not MSROY (Most Surprising Rookie Of the YEar), so the award, when it comes down to it, goes to Yao. THen they quoted Vlade Divac, who said, "A true Rookie of the Year completely changes the way his team plays. Amare Stoudamare is still a role player. Yao is a KEY player."

So if ESPN has finally said it, then it's obvious who the award will eventually go to.,

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 7:19 am
likemindeddude wrote:
Everyone check out ESPN. They finally gave their opinion on who should win the League awards, and under ROY, they listed Yao as their sole choice. When they mentioned Amare, they said that although Amare Stoudamare has wonderful skills and has made the unexpected leap from high-school to the NBA with little struggle, the award is not MSROY (Most Surprising Rookie Of the YEar), so the award, when it comes down to it, goes to Yao. THen they quoted Vlade Divac, who said, "A true Rookie of the Year completely changes the way his team plays. Amare Stoudamare is still a role player. Yao is a KEY player."

So if ESPN has finally said it, then it's obvious who the award will eventually go to.,

A very good point. Divac really has the wisdom

Offline Profile