<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Charles, Kenny & Magic - all picked Amare tonight

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 4:37 pm
The TNT analysts don't vote on the ROY---thank goodness--Selected sports writers do. Let's hope that they'd be more objective.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:25 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
RedDragon wrote:
I never liked Magic because of his reprehensible depravity. And I never liked Chuck because of his dysenteric mouth. Now I dislike them even more.

It's ridiculous. The Suns are ahead right now mainly because they have Marbury and Marion, who are more consistent than their counterparts on the Rockets. It just seems like Amare is doing a spectular job in Phoenix because he dunks a lot and Sportscenter usually only shows dunks and threes.

Those imbeciles on TNT keep talking about Amare's stats and rant incessantly about how he scores extremely well and blocks shots. Well, Yao leads Amare in points per game and blocks per game. In fact, Yao leads him in almost every other category. Plus, Yao had a really rough start, which hurt his averages.

Also, it really annoys me when they talk about how Amare had to undergo a great transition when he entered the NBA from high school. He's not really a high schooler. C'mon, he's twenty years old. I'm not trying to be facetious and joke about his intelligence. I'm just trying to say that some analysts have grossly exaggerated the obstacles that Amare has had to surmount. Yao on the other hand truly has had to go through a lot. He has had to assimilate a new culture and endure seething derision.

YOU'RE SO RiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiGHT !!! I NEVER LIKE AMARE STOUDEMIRE !!!

He is nothing special; all he knew about BB could be Slam Dunk, and I don't think he will ever make a great center or forward as SHAQ. And as everyone had said it, he did not contribute much to the Suns. He is at most a role player alongside M&M who are really the KEY to the Suns performance. Besides, statistics wise, he is inferior to Yao in many of the categories: in point per game, in blocks, in double-double, you-name-it.

Yao is definitely unique and contributed well to the Rockets. Rockets will not be in its current position if not for Yao: winning many more games than last season; being #2 in NBA in terms of attendence/gate receipts; being the most popular team in China and Asia;

IF NOT FOR THE COACHES (PARTICULARLY, COACH MEAN IS AT MAJOR FAULTS), THE ROX SHOULD HAVE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS !!

!@#$%^&*()((*@#$%^&* !!!!

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:14 pm
pryuen wrote:
YOU'RE SO RiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiGHT !!! I NEVER LIKE AMARE STOUDEMIRE !!!He is nothing special; He is at most a role player alongside M&M
who are really the KEY to the Suns performance.

Rockets will not be in its current position if not for Yao: winning many more games than last season;

IF NOT FOR THE COACHES (PARTICULARLY, COACH MEAN IS AT MAJOR FAULTS), THE ROX SHOULD HAVE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS !!

Yao should win the ROY award w AS a worthy #2. i am a fan of UM and AS---both young bright NBA stars.

your comment about LS is right on. his cluelesness may have caused the ROX the playoff, and jeopardized YM's chances of winning the ROY award

that said, your opinion on AS and ROY award is distorted by national pride; need to be objective. the fact that the ROX is the most popular NBA team in Asia / China is not the reason that Yao should win. It is his performance on the BB court. Based on that, IMO, Yao should win---w AS a close second.

AS is a role player, his inside power game (complementing the great outside play by M&M) helped Suns to win more game than last yr.

AS (a forward) avg more rebound than YM (a center)---that is impressive.

AS is the most successful first year player (w no previous professional experience) in the history of the NBA---much more successful than future Hall-of-Famers like Kobe, Garnett and Moses Malone. that is damn impressive :!:

that said, YaoMing's play deserves the ROY award :!: :!:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 7:18 pm
that was me
Anonymous wrote:
pryuen wrote:
YOU'RE SO RiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiGHT !!! I NEVER LIKE AMARE STOUDEMIRE !!!He is nothing special; He is at most a role player alongside M&M
who are really the KEY to the Suns performance.

Rockets will not be in its current position if not for Yao: winning many more games than last season;

Yao should win the ROY award w AS a worthy #2. i am a fan of UM and AS---both young bright NBA stars.

your comment about LS is right on. his cluelesness may have caused the ROX the playoff, and jeopardized YM's chances of winning the ROY award

that said, your opinion on AS and ROY award is distorted by national pride; need to be objective. the fact that the ROX is the most popular NBA team in Asia / China is not the reason that Yao should win. It is his performance on the BB court. Based on that, IMO, Yao should win---w AS a close second.

AS is a role player, his inside power game (complementing the great outside play by M&M) helped Suns to win more game than last yr.

AS (a forward) avg more rebound than YM (a center)---that is impressive.

AS is the most successful first year player (w no previous college or professional experience) in the history of the NBA---much more successful than future Hall-of-Famers like Kobe, Garnett and Moses Malone. that is damn impressive :!:

that said, YaoMing's play deserves the ROY award :!: :!:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 853Location: The Golden StateJoined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:25 am
pryuen wrote:
IF NOT FOR THE COACHES (PARTICULARLY, COACH MEAN IS AT MAJOR FAULTS), THE ROX SHOULD HAVE MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS!!

Yeah! Fire Larry! It's just too bad that the recipient of the Rookie of the Year award is not determined by the fans. If that were so Yao will win by a landslide (like he always does on the internet polls)! We won't even have to rig the voting!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:05 pm
User avatarPosts: 2161Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:06 pm
If ROY is determined by the player taking his team to the playoffs then Gasol shouldn't have gotten ROY last year!! Am I right here?? I am going to complain to the NAACP and Jesse Jackson about this? NO JUSTICE!! But then again, a black person will tell ya in a heart beat that he/she can't be a racist 'cause of the color of their skin. B/S!!!!!!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 11:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 25Location: Chicago, ILJoined: Wed Feb 19, 2003 9:40 pm
Can we really pay attention to wut Charles says anymore, and Kenny Smith man of all pple i thought kenny would be on Yao's side. Yao Should and WIll Win it end of argument!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 9:23 am
User avatarPosts: 370Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:08 am
People have the right to their opinion. I've been realizing that so much is being made over this. IF Yao doesn't win ROY, so what? It doesn't change who is, what kind of player he'll be. Many people were pissed that Jason Kidd had to share the ROY award with Grant Hill, but it doesn't matter now. Look where Kidd is, and look where Hill is now. THe same with Francis and Elton Brand. Francis is on a decent team. Brand is playing for the sorry Clippers.

I'm proud of Yao because he's Asian, but I don't want my asian genetics to completely blind me to everything in the NBA. Yao is a great player, and is better than AMare in a lot of different areas, even though he plays a different position. Amare is stronger though, more aggressive, and never lets people beat him up. Also, when Amare has bad games, his numbers aren't too atrocious though not very good. When Yao has bad games, however, he is really, really, really, really bad. During his bad games, Yao does so bad that he confuses fans and makes them almost forget just how good he really is. THat's also something to consider.

I think they both deserve Rookie of the Year, and like I said, I think they'll both get it. Amare was even quoted for thinking that he was going to end up as a Co-recipient with Yao. But if for some reason, Amare gets it and Yao doesn't, I'm not going to make a big hoopla over it. I'd sooner make a bigger a hoopla over the fact that the Rockets missed making the playoffs and lost to a bunch of bad teams. ANd I think it's stupid for Asians to speculate that racism is at work and is responsible for Yao not getting ROY. The NBA--players, coaches, management, owners--is not perfect, but it can't be denied that they have tried very, very hard to welcome Yao and celebrate his CHinese ethnicity. Yao has commercials. He's been on so many Magazine covers, and could have been on more (like Time), but he starting refusing these spotlight offers to rest.

From Yao's perspective, I could only imagine that he is probably thinking that the NBA and America has sincerely welcomed him, and more so than the international players from Yugoslavia or Germany or South America or Africa.

You guys are entitled to your opinion on racism being at work, but I've just as often seen so many Asians--Yao supporters included--guilty of racism (towards blacks, towards whites, towards other Asian nationalities) that is just as reprehensible. If, for instance, you don't like SHaq, and what he said about Yao, you're not any better if you start calling Shaq a monkey. I heard many of my Chinese friends say this a couple months back.

Be proud of Yao, definately, but don't let that pride blind you to the point where you can see that you're no better than the people you accuse.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:40 am
Posts: 89Location: St. LouisJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:14 am
Wow! Well written likemindeddude. With over 300 posts I think you have the qualifications to be a fine sports writer/analyst. Only thing puzzled me is when did you turn into a gal from a dude? Judging from the photo I don’t think you are over 20. If so the piece you wrote is beyond your years. Just curiosity, is your Asian genetics Malaysian? You don’t look Chinese, Japanese, or Korean. That is all beside the point.

I know the topic here is ROY. But I really want to bring up a related subject, Yao Ming Fan of the Year. My vote goes to YaoMingMania.com as number one. My vote for number two will go to pryuen from Hong Kong for his painstaking way of following the Reckets games through Internet and huge input.

Now, with the season all but over and Rockets missing yet another playoff what I am concerned with is whether we will have the YaoMingMania.com standing tall the off season and back for the next? I hope my fellow registered members will open your wallet to support the site. I truly believe some positive changes are immanent for the Rockets, and next season will offer excitement. I will be doing my tax return today. I hope I will have some refund to send to the site. I challenge my fellow members to do what you can to keep the site going. Students, like likemindeddude, are exempted though.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:57 am
Chunsheng Luo wrote:
.... But I really want to bring up a related subject, Yao Ming Fan of the Year. My vote goes to YaoMingMania.com as number one. My vote for number two will go to pryuen from Hong Kong for his painstaking way of following the Reckets games through Internet and huge input. ...
well said,. ditto for me :!:
kudos to YaoMingmania.com :D , LMD :D and PR Yuen :D ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Offline Profile