<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  China restricts all travel to and from China!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:36 am
Hey Guys!
It was just breaking news on CNN that due to the sudden increase in SARS deaths in China that all travel to the country will be restricted.
The news report pretty much meant no one goes into or out of China!
Does this mean Yao will probably not go home ?

---Just wondering...
Cheryl

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 10:38 am
You would think the Chinese government would make an exception with Yao, and that Yao would try really hard to push that exception. But if I were him, I would be like, Oh well, nothing I can do, time to train and play in summer league and training camp.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:27 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Gatorfan08 wrote:
Hey Guys!
It was just breaking news on CNN that due to the sudden increase in SARS deaths in China that all travel to the country will be restricted.
The news report pretty much meant no one goes into or out of China!
Does this mean Yao will probably not go home ?

---Just wondering...
Cheryl

Gatorfan YOU MUST BE OVER-REACTING to the news, I think.

I have not seen or heard the CNN breakout news; but China DID ANNOUNCE the cancellation of the week-long May Day national holidays (May 1 - 7) so as to minimize the massive flow of people travelling all over China that could lead to further spread of the SARS.

I am reattaching that news article from a local newspaper (South China Morning Post) at the end of this post for your reference.

You have to understand a lot of Chinese work away from their home cities/villages in bigger cities; May Day is one of the 3 longest national holidays within a year. So people will either take vacation outside of the country (to Hong Kong, to South Korea, to Japan, to Southeast Asia), or travel to sightseeing cities in China, or at a minimum, travel back to their home cities/villages to see their family/parents etc. But cutting short the week-long national holidays mean that working people can no longer have the luxury for a 7-day break away from their work, so they may change plan and limit their travels.

In the news release (which I highlighted), the China authorities have said it already this is only a preventive measure taken to minimize the massive flow of people within China. It DID NOT place any restriction of people travelling in and out of China. It is unimaginable for any country, particular for a country as large and big as China, stopping its people travelling in and out !!!

So Yao Ming could proceed with his home-coming plan if he thinks it is safe !!! They maybe subject to some preventive medical check (getting their temperature etc.) and health declaration upon his arrivals (or departures) so as to make sure he is not SARS carriers. But he is still free to enter (or leave) China provided he is clean and not affected by SARS already.

HOPE THIS HELPS TO CLARIFY THE CONFUSION

Saturday, April 19, 2003

China cancels week-long May Day holidays

AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE in Beijing

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated at 5.13pm, Sunday:

China said on Sunday it was cancelling the week-long May Day holidays to prevent the spread of SARS, disrupting the travel plans of millions of people.

"This year we will not have the week-long holiday," vice-health minister Gao Qiang said at a press conference, calling the move a "highly rigorous measure".

"The purpose is to prevent the massive flow of people that could lead to the spread of SARS."

The May Day holidays were due to start on May 1 and run to May 7.

Millions of Chinese take to the skies, roads and railways for each of the country's three week-long national holidays: May Day, October's National Day, and the Spring Festival over the Lunar New Year.

The nationwide vacations were approved by the Chinese government in 1999 in an effort to boost consumer spending, and they have resulted in a booming domestic tourist trade.

But experts had voiced fear that the massive movement of people and the crowding of tourists in popular destinations could cause SARS to spread like wildfire.

"The suspension of the long holiday is mainly designed to prevent the spread of the epidemic so this is a preventative measure," Mr Gao said.

"We have an old saying in China that preparation makes perfect and the lack of preparation leads to disaster."

He added that the drastic measure was probably overestimating the threat, but it would lead to a "better result".

"This doesn't mean there will be no travelling and tourism going on," he said.

"We are just against the massive movement of people. We don't want people to be locked up in their houses."

The health ministry on Sunday admitted there were 1,807 confirmed cases and 79 deaths from the illness nationwide.

This included 339 cases in Beijing and 18 fatalities.

The ministry said there were an additional 402 "suspected" cases in the capital.

Prior to the announcement, authorities had claimed there were just 44 cases in Beijing with four fatalities.

UNQUOTE

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 7:37 pm
Hey guys,
My bad, I think that was the story I heard on CNN!
I guess it was restricted travel during the May holidays, and not an extensive ban throughout the entire country!

Sorry guys!
Should have paid better attention!!
:? :?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 8:30 pm
User avatarPosts: 3504Location: LIU XIANG'S COUNTRYJoined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:11 pm
pffffff, ignorant
LOL at least your intention was good ^^ 8)

Offline Profile WWW ICQ YIM