<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  What was your expectation of Yao before this season?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:02 pm
To be frank, he has exceeded my expectation that he is in the run for ROY. Even if he does not win the award, I'm still very happy for him.

In terms of stats, my prediction was something like:

score: 10-15pts (I wasn't really sure so I gave it a very flexible range, I thought he might be averaging 12 pts since Wang Zhi-Zhi didn't play too well in his first 2 years.)
Rebound: 7-8
blocks: 2

Never thought of other stats like assists, etc...

How about yours?

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:18 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
waterfall_zen wrote:
To be frank, he has exceeded my expectation that he is in the run for ROY. Even if he does not win the award, I'm still very happy for him.

In terms of stats, my prediction was something like:

score: 10-15pts (I wasn't really sure so I gave it a very flexible range, I thought he might be averaging 12 pts since Wang Zhi-Zhi didn't play too well in his first 2 years.)
Rebound: 7-8
blocks: 2

Never thought of other stats like assists, etc...

How about yours?

I'VE NEVER THOUGHT YAO WILL BLOSSOM INTO THE REAL DEAL IN HIS FIRST ROOKIE SEASON !!!!!!

I used to follow Yao's game while he was still with the CBA. I knew he was very good and dorminant in CBA.

But when he went to Houston, I thought maybe he would require at least 3 - 4 months to settle down and got adapted to the NBA competitive environment; also given that he is a rookie as well as an international player, he might not be trusted by his coaches, and would have very limited play minutes on court to prove himself.

So my expectation for Yao was rather modest:

8- 10 points
5 - 6 rebounds
3.5 - 4 personal fouls
less than 20 miniutes of play

OF COURSE, THE REST IS HISTORY NOW. IT'S JUST AMAZING FOR YAO TO BE SO WELL ADAPTED TO NBA SO FAST AND QUICK THAT HIS PERFORMANCE IN HIS 1ST ROOKIE SEASON (SELECTED FOR ALL-STAR, RUNNING FOR ROY, EXTREMELY POPULAR, MANY COMMERCIAL ENDORSEMENTS ETC.) HAD FAR EXCEEDED ALL MY EXPECTATION AND IMAGINATION !!!!

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:32 am
ditto, YaoMing's performance in his rookie season far exceeded my expectation.

i've always though that Yao would have a better NBA career than Vlade Divac, who's had a fairly successful career, one rung below all-star caliber. i'd never imagine that he'd be voted to the all-star game. also, i never believed Barkley and Mark Cuban stmts that "...YM would not be as good as Sean Bradley..."

I was fortunate enough to be at the Staples Center and witnessed YM's break-thru game against the Lakers. I saw that, besides all that BB skills, YM is a very competitive athlete.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:45 pm
Posts: 229Location: HoustonJoined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:17 pm
i honestly thought he wouldnt have a breakout season for 2-3 more years. This is phenomenal. I really thought this year he would end up, at around 6ppg 4rpg 1.3 bpg .7 assist pergame .3 steal per game. Yao is destined for greatness though. Through all the adversity, yao manage to lead a successful and admirable rookie season. Yay :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:32 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
:arrow:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 476Location: Houston, TXJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:51 am
I was skeptical like the rest of them. I thought he would be so tired that he would average 7-8pts and 10-11rebounds. But he more than shattered my expectations. :P

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:28 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
10pts 10rb 2+blk

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:47 am
Posts: 122Location: Bay Area, CAJoined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:10 am
Well, I draft Yao first in the Yahoo's fantasy baseketball and that tells you my expectation of Yao. :D

Offline Profile