<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  pheonix newspaper dissing YM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:14 am
Posts: 72Location: NYC, Chicago, OrlandoJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 10:01 am
The "good" folks in Arizona, while happy to have their player named ROY, haven't forgot to discredit YM as being media hype.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepubli ... i3-25.html

Guess what, if YM remains a rocket, Houston will be the road block to any pheonix championship (has that ever happened yet? pheonix is among the few teams that never won a championship. even the Nets dominated the ABA before ABA merged with NBA)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:24 pm
User avatarPosts: 67Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Wait where's the diss, is it just the headline at the top of the article :?: It didn't really seem like a diss towards Yao, it looked like it was trying to say that Amare was the rightful ROY and just basically praising him. If you want to see a diss of Yao, you should have checked out an article from one of their writers back in Early November. The asshole said that Yao was gonna be a bigger bust than Larue Martin. :x :x :x :x

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:51 pm
Penny wrote:
.... The asshole said that Yao was gonna be a bigger bust than Larue Martin. :x :x :x :x

that was ***** VITALE :x :x

"I still feel that Yao Ming could be the second coming of LaRue Martin, the big man who was a first-round bust of the Portland Trail Blazers in 1972."

"My gut feeling tells me the Rockets are making a mistake, baby, in evaluating their overall No. 1 pick. Still, Rudy T could shock America by having NBA commissioner David Stern announce Williams' name as the top pick. Then Houston would be moving toward the winner's circle."

- ***** Vitale, ESPN.com, 6/21/02

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:20 pm
I'm talking about a writer for the AZ Republic or one of those arizona papers. If you are a member of *****, you would probably know what I'm talking about cause they really flamed the guy over there. I think his name was Ron Blinkley.

And yeah I remember what ***** said about Yao. He was trying to give Jay a Hummer cause he's a big Duke Homer. Funny how he still hasn't apologized while basically every other sports writer that bashed Yao actually did.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:29 pm
Posts: 853Location: The Golden StateJoined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:25 am
Senile fool.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:06 pm
Posts: 122Location: Bay Area, CAJoined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:10 am
Penny wrote:
..... Funny how he still hasn't apologized while basically every other sports writer that bashed Yao actually did.

What can you expect from a "*****"? No balls to admit he's wrong about Yao!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:10 pm
Posts: 122Location: Bay Area, CAJoined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:10 am
Penny wrote:
..... Funny how he still hasn't apologized while basically every other sports writer that bashed Yao actually did.

What can you expect from a "*****"? No balls to admit he's wrong about Yao!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 89Location: St. LouisJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:14 am
That’s what I liked about Houston. The writers there never discredit anyone. Just stating facts. If you look at the writings from Arizona they only compared PPG and RPG, the only two categories that Amare could match up against YM, as if nothing else NBA cared to keep stats. It was funny some of them using YM’s Chinese Basketball Association experience to make a case that AS had more of huddle coming straight from high school, while not credit YM for him never having street BB experience and still stood up against every centers in NBA. I even remember some of them predicted YM would be a bust because he only thrived in the inferior CBA. It is simply amazing that they could always find ways to justify their stupidity, using the very same excuse. :!:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 3:34 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
Chunsheng Luo wrote:
That’s what I liked about Houston. The writers there never discredit anyone. Just stating facts. If you look at the writings from Arizona they only compared PPG and RPG, the only two categories that Amare could match up against YM, as if nothing else NBA cared to keep stats. It was funny some of them using YM’s Chinese Basketball Association experience to make a case that AS had more of huddle coming straight from high school, while not credit YM for him never having street BB experience and still stood up against every centers in NBA. I even remember some of them predicted YM would be a bust because he only thrived in the inferior CBA. It is simply amazing that they could always find ways to justify their stupidity, using the very same excuse. :!:

I noticed this, too. The Houston Chronicle never went overboard with their praise of Yao Ming, and oftentimes, when Yao had bad games, they were honestly critical of what Yao did wrong. Well, ANYWAY, they gave a lot of credit to Amare when the ROY was announced, while the Arizona Cetnrial or whatever the newspaper is called shows a really really obvious bias against Yao and towards Amare. Okay, Amare has the ROY award now, so why do they keep mentioning that he won it over Yao, that he overcame all of Yao's popularity? Yao, Yao, Yao. Couldn't these Arizona journalist just stick to ROY award and Amare, because it's not like Yao was the only other Rookie this year. Amare also won the award over Caron Butler and a bunch of other rookies, but of course they're not going off about how Amare overcame Butler or anything. In the end, yao was one of the first people to be quoted by the press, congratulating Amare, and that says something. It's obvious that it's really slanted sports journalism. If you look at the Rockets site, in the section dedicated to promoting Yao Ming, nowhere are there quotes aimed towards Amare. It's just Yao, and it's not even ROY compaign. Whereas, the That's Amare section has a bunch of quotes by people mentioning Yao, using Yao has a platform for Amare's skills, and they even had the gall to include quotes from Steve Francis, Rudy T, and even Yao himself, who is quoted saying, "If there aren't any more Amare S in the league, I think I can last." It's all free to use, but couldn't they have just promoted Amare and Amre only without having to mention Yao. It's like an inferiority complex or something, and worse, now that he has the award, they have to keep mentioning Yao, like they want to personally rub it in.

I'm fine with Amare getting the award, because he is a good player, and has been with through a lot. The ROY isn't that important to me personally. None of these awards are. I really don't get awards in general. I can hardly remember who was MVP or ROY way back when or a year ago. All I follow are the games and who wins and who makes it to the finals. It's all so artificial to me anyway. I'm just glad Yao is back home with familiar faces, old friends, and his girlfriend, and I really really really think if some magical genie came and said to Yao, "Hi, Yao. You're looking cute by the way. Anyway, I will make sure you get ROY, but on one condition. You can't go home this summer to see your family, friends, or girlfriend . . . " . . . . If Yao was faced with this choice, he would have said, "Then don't give me ROY. I'd rather go home and be with my friends and family and girlfriend." that just shows how little awards mean, and how pathetic it is that people on both sides of the wall--Yao fans, Amare fans--keep dwelling on it. Good for Amare, but better for Yao, who doesn't need an award to affirm who he is, and what's important to him in life, which, I think, is the sign of a truly mature person.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:41 pm
[quote="TannerSearle78"][quote="Chunsheng Luo"]That

Offline Profile