<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Your prediction of Yao Ming's Performance next season?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 7:07 pm
I don't think it would be drastically different from this season if Rockets do not make changes.

15pts, 9reb, 2blks, 2.5asts, 35 minutes of playing time?

In my heart, I hope he can be:
18pts, 10reb, 2.5blks, 3asts per game but I don't know if it will happen like that next season.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:15 pm
Hey,
I totally agree with you! Although I totally love Rudy T., his coaching philosopy just does not mesh well with Yao Ming's game.
This one-on-one stuff and no team play won't take him far.
If he keeps on playing in Houston with that system, I really think his development will really be stymied. There will probably be no improvement. Even without Yao, the Rockets roster was not that bad, and they haven't made the playoffs for the past 4 years!.
Changes really have to be made! :(

--
Cheryl

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:43 pm
Posts: 229Location: HoustonJoined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:17 pm
18 ppg, 10 rpg, 1 steal per game 2.6 bpg, 2.2 assists pergame.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:39 pm
I don't think he can become a 20/10 guy yet. Maybe like Zen said, around 15-17 points, 8.5-9.0 boards.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:38 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
if yao can play up to 35 mpg, he can grab at least 10 rebounds, block 2+ shots and dish 2+ assists.
for scoring, my expection is 20+, a more realistic number is around 17 ppg. (depending largely on coaching style and teammates like SF and CAT)

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:31 am
Posts: 89Location: St. LouisJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:14 am
My prediction is that YM will be slightly better next season in his stats. Don

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:49 am
Chunsheng Luo wrote:
....... I would like to see the Rockets work on sharp passing to make it easier for YM to get balls where he wants them and at the right time. I also like to see his teammates able to catch n pass or catch n shoot in one fluent motion with accuracy. ..

as i see it, the only way this would happen is thru a coaching change, to design / install a new style of play for the ROX.

get Van Gundy :!:

w him at the helm, there'll more set plays, more assists and less of ISO plays :!: it is the antidote for the opponents' pressured double-team D. YaoMing would thrive under such a system---more assist and points.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:21 pm
Posts: 476Location: Houston, TXJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:51 am
If Yao Ming gets stronger in this offseason he should average 18-20pts a game with 11-12rebounds per game. I know to some of your that might seem a little steep in terms of points but Yao frankly didn't utilize his skills to the fullest this year, he was too tired at times during this season and wore down by the end of the season. The Rockets should look for Yao Ming everytime they come down the court whether it be a fastbreak (Yao can run with the best of them) or a set play. Good things happened when Yao touches the ball and we've all seen that this year. As for the Rockets, they have to pass the ball better, shoot better especially Mobley and Francis. How many times have we seen the Rockets players miss wide open shots this year? Too many in my opinion. The offense has to be consistent, they have to come out of the gate with an identity and confidence in their system.

If Yao's number doesn't improve next and they don't make the playoffs, expect major changes in the organization starting from the coaches to the players. Rudy's days are numbered and there's pressure on him to take this team to the next level.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 8:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
adoo wrote:
get Van Gundy :!:

w him at the helm, there'll more set plays, more assists and less of ISO plays :!: it is the antidote for the opponents' pressured double-team D. YaoMing would thrive under such a system---more assist and points.[/color][/b]

Van Gundy's a good choice, he loves yao

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:03 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
Van Gundy--good choice. Plus, he really likes to come down hard on players who don't listen to him.

Offline Profile WWW