<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Yao lost the Rookie of the Year award!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 4:00 pm
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
What anger me is the 19 vote that put Yao as third option.
I do not think that they have consistent criteria on their vote except being bias and/or racist. :twisted:

If they put Caron Butter 1st because of his point per game stats (which is the ONLY thing that he has done better than Yao or Amare) then most of Yao stats including Point per game is BETTER than Amare.

How come they pick Amare as # 2? :twisted: :evil:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 7:41 pm
Posts: 229Location: HoustonJoined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:17 pm
dont worry. yao will win atleast co-roy, if not sole possesion.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:03 pm
Hey lost_elephant! :o

The article above seems pretty final about how the ROY voting went.
You seem to be still hopeful that Yao will get ROY, do you know something we don't? :wink: :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 9:34 pm
U can't have everything. I think everybody knows who Yao Ming is, more so than Amare. This award will help boost Amare's name which makes me happy for the guy. Hey, after what he's done, I can't argue with him being the recipient. Yao's impact has been felt already: countless commercials, starting center for all-star game. I'd like to see him win MVP someday, any thoughts on if he can achieve this?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 10:00 pm
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
Well! I can't be happy for Amare anymore because I have lost a lot of respect for him as a person.

I have read a message from another fan site that apparently, On NBA Action last week, players were asked what they thought was the play/highlight of the season, and Amare thought Yao falling over was the best. He went on talking about how funny it was and how he and others on the bench was falling over each other laughing at the incident.

If this is ture, the guy is classless. :twisted:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:10 pm
It's not surprising that the NBA (and indeed the sports crowd in this country in general) is one corner where the remaining vestiges of racism are constantly on show. Certainly there are respectable athletes in the NBA, but over all, this is the league that tolerates some pretty shady characters as well as offhanded comments (like Shaq's, but he's far from the only one) while civil society has moved on. The voting probably went straight along racial lines, but I am more worried about the endemic attitude like that allegedly expressed by Stoudemire.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:53 am
User avatarPosts: 6563Location: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a championJoined: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:15 am
Yun wrote:
Well! I can't be happy for Amare anymore because I have lost a lot of respect for him as a person.

I have read a message from another fan site that apparently, On NBA Action last week, players were asked what they thought was the play/highlight of the season, and Amare thought Yao falling over was the best. He went on talking about how funny it was and how he and others on the bench was falling over each other laughing at the incident.

it's true, i saw it on last week's 'nba action'.
he's just a high school kid, don't expect him too much.
nba players are just basketball players, so don't expect them to be all around idol, don't expect them to be well mannered, good personality. for a lot of nba players, if they don't play in nba, they would be working in a gas station or sth similar.
watch their words, a lot of them can't even speak logically.
know what, i feel very funny about the "read to achieve" program, i feel stern should invite Rodman to be the read-to-achieve spokeman.

some of yao's so-called wisdom doesn't make much sense either, but yao knows how to respect ppl. for amare, he doesn't know he needs to respect ppl before he got respect.

for yao's not getting ROY, i feel pretty sad. not for yao, but for nba and american society. it's not a bad thing for yao, making him more clear how american society is. he needs to pay extra effort to get recogonized.

lastly i want to compare yao and amare again.
talking stats, yao's no bad than amare, and has a obvious advantage on efficiency rating category.
talking about non-stats factor
1. rox ran offence and defence around yao while sun didn't
2. yao's a big defence threaten to their opponents even when he didn't block, while amare not
3. yao got a lot of double team, a lot of teams(coach) made special preparation for yao
4. when facing yao, a lot of nba players wanted to punish or humiliate yao, while amare was not their aim.
5. yao got larger off-court pressure coming from media etc.

so, yao got better stats, bigger influence on his team, tougher competition from opponents and huge pressure from off court factors, i don't see why he should not be the ROY.

3 things can explain why
1. bias
2. bias
3. bias

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:22 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Yun wrote:

YUN, COULD NOT AGREED MORE ON YOUR OBSERVATION !!!

Well, Amare Stoudemire showed what kind of a person he is by teasing and laughing on his fiercest competitor; he maybe good in his basketball skills; it maybe rare for someone straight from high school to have that kind of a rookie year; but personality wise, he is FAR FAR INFERIOR to Yao Ming !!!

As I mentioned in another thread of this Forum, Yao treated competition as a kind of motivation and drive for better self-improvement and growth. Just look into how he viewed Kelvin Cato's competition showed you Yao Ming is FAR FAR SUPERIOR to Amare Stoudemire at least as a complete person !!

Extract from Yao's online journal at the official rocket site

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/yao_journal030421.html

(Kelvin) Cato is very energetic, he helped me a lot in learning the NBA. He has taught me a lot of things hand by hand, such as defensive positioning, etc. There is a defensive three seconds rule in the NBA, so I must relearn the spacing and timing. On the other hand, he gave me a lof of competition, like someone standing behind and whipping you. In fact all of my teammates helped me a lot.

UNQUOTE

You see Cato is competing with Yao as the starting center all year long; for somebody else, he may already be bad-mouthing their enemies or competitors; but not for Yao Ming. When did we see or hear Yao said something bad about Amare Stoudemire ??? This shows the personality and character of Yao Ming.

It is most unfortunate that Yao's rookie season has to end this way with the Rox failing to make it to the playoff, and he himself probably losing out to Amare Stoudemire the Rookie of the Year Award due to bias and races.

BUT NEVERTHELESS, I STILL THINK IN THE LONGER TERM, YAO WILL BE BETTER AND GREATER THAN AMARE STOUDEMIRE WHO TO ME IS NOTHING SPECIAL BUT ONE OF THOSE ARROGANT AND UNMATURE AMERICAN KIDS JUST COME OUT OF HIGH SCHOOL !!!!

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:34 am
If Amare gets the award for ROY i can honestly say I won't be mad but dissapointed that Yao Ming didn't. Yao Ming definitely deserves the ROY award but Yao Ming's the kind of guy who doesn't care too much about personal awards. He's all abou the team and and how many wins they have. I bet Yao would've traded his ROY award for a playoff spot. As for Amare, he is arrogant and possibly a showoff but you have to appreciated how he came to the NBA. He's had a troubled childhood and has been in problematic situations throughout his life. So it doesn't surprise me that he lacks respect for other players and seems rude. In the end, I think Yao Ming will be the most dominant player in the NBA more like Duncan than Shaq, no one can be like Shaq. All Yao needs to concentrate on now is to relax, chill out for sometime, play with the Chinese team for the Olympics, and get stronger for next season and maybe he'll win the MVP next year! :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:36 am
Posts: 476Location: Houston, TXJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:51 am
The post above was by me..i forgot to log on. :?

Offline Profile