<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Yao lost the Rookie of the Year award!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:58 pm
2002-2003 Houston Rockets player analysis
Hello Rockets fans. I've seen enough Rockets games this season (about 60+ games) to be able to praise/critique the play of each player. I can publish the Rocket's playbook if i wanted to. So here goes:

Steve Francis (PG) - Started out the season on fire. Was the starting All-Star PG and had the numbers to back it up. Slowly starting to learn how to be a team leader. Very good at recognizing and throwing the alleyoop pass.
Things to improve on for next season:
Tries to show-off too much. Too often he's dribbling and dribbling and then tries to go through two defenders and loses the ball, thus adding to his league-high turnover count. Makes too many fancy moves instead of trying to involve his teammates. Should make the efficient simple passes rather than make the risky fancy passes. Needs to learn how to 'run' the offense rather than 'control' the offense.
Playing with Yao:
After throwing the ball to Yao in the post, Francis is often way too lazy when cutting to the basket. He's often making his cuts jogging into the lane and not even bothering to look for the ball. Almost everytime Francis is cutting hard and getting open, Yao has gotten him the ball. Francis doesn't run the pick N roll very well either. He's slow in his decision making and when he's double teamed off the pick and roll he needs to somehow be clever enough to pass the ball to Yao as he is moving towards the basket. Francis often throws the ball to the weakside for a 3 point shot or going into the whole himself, which are lower percentage shots. Did have some really nice assists to Yao and his teammates, but for an elite point guard who plays the entire game to have only 6 assists per game is unacceptable.

Cuttino Mobley (SG) - Very good player for a 2nd round pick. Can convert the alleyoop dunk, which is impressive for a small player.
Takes too many shots for a 2nd round player. Needs to take less shots and have better shot selection. 43% shooting for a shooting guard is too low. Isn't a clutch player. Had several opportunities to either tie the game or win the game with last second shots. But only converted one that I can remember. Can be a ball-hogger at times (well most of the times). For a guard who plays the entire game to have less than 3 assists/game, isn't helping his team.
Playing with Yao:
I prefer Mobley to run the pickNroll with Yao. Cuttino tends to look to make the fancy pass to Yao off those type of plays. If Mobley was a better outside shooter, he and Yao would be a good pair to make the inside-outside game effective. But Mobley is a slasher and sometimes he'll give up the outside shot to drive to the basket for a tougher shot.

Eddie Griffin (PF) - Still a young developing player. However, didn't make any improvements from his rookie season.
I'm not sure if Griffin can improve. First things first, he needs to stop smoking weed, then he can improve his manners, his intelligence. If I was Rocket's GM, I would swallow my pride and trade Griffin before it's too late.
Playing with Yao:
Are the Rockets trying to mold Griffin into a Robert Horry clone? and have Yao play like Shaq? Griffin takes alot of outside 3 pointers, like Horry. But Griffin's 3 point shooting percentage is still too low to be taking those shots that often. There were too many airballs to count.

James Posey (SF) - He's the athletic player on the team. Not too much was expected out of Posey except for some defensive stops and some flashy plays.
Playing with Yao:
Cuts to the basket very agressively whenever feeding Yao the ball in the post. There has been many effective Yao-to-Posey passes that has ended with a dunk. I'd like to see Posey feed the ball more often to Yao and have Posey cut to the basket.

Maurice Taylor (PF) - His goto move is his right-handed hook shot. Doesn't have any other goto move.
Playing with Yao:
Whenever Mo gets the ball in the low post, he gets tunnel-vision. Mo rarely passes the ball whenever he has the ball there. Yao would have to get into rebounding position anytime Mo touches the ball.

Glen Rice (SF) - Started to make his threes late in the season. Appears to really respect Yao and admire his abilities. Perhaps because Rice is the one player on the Rockets who understands Yao can improve the game of his teammates. And having Yao's inside presence would help Rice's outside game.
Can't improve much, he's getting old.
Playing with Yao:
I'm surprised Yao and Rice doesn't play much more together at the same time. Yao and Rice would make a good inside-outside combination, with Rice feeding Yao the ball and whenever Yao is double-teamed he can kick it out to Rice for a three.

Moochie Norris (PF) - Didn't have a very good season at all. But could be the only true point guard on the team.
Has the same disease as Steve Francis - over dribbling.
Playing with Yao:
Blew too many easy layups where Yao made a perfect pass. I counted over 5 missed layups thoughout the season.

YAO MING (C) - Exceeded most people's expectations. Had some really impressive games when given the ball often. But also had some stretches where he was a bit slower. Fatigue appears to be a factor. Showed a wide variety of post moves. Didn't get to shoot threes very often and didn't get to show his face-to-basket moves which i've seen when playing on his Chinese team and Shanghai team.
Obviously everyone has said Yao needs to get stronger. I'm not sure if there's a weight gym in China, if not, the Rockets needs to ship one to China. I've noticed some flaws in Yao's game. Particully when going up strong to the basket. Several times he had the opportunity to dunk the ball, but instead tries the layup and missed some of them. When Yao does go up for a dunk, his tendency is to use his right hand to dunk the ball. Since Yao's favorite spot on the court is on the left block, occasionally he will have to use his left hand to dunk, but he almost always use his right hand to dunk. There were times when Yao went up to dunk, he either got blocked or fouled. Had he gone up to dunk with his left hand, the outcome would have been a basket-&one or a foul. Other than that, Yao's game is very polished.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
vaderschariot wrote:
Where is SOLID proof he lost the ROY??? I have yet too see it. All articles are from Arizona saying AS had won already.......I am going to send my own trophy....think he will recieve it?

THAT WAS EXACTLY WHAT I THOUGHT THAT IT COULD BE ONE OF THOSE HOAX NEWS THAT CAME OUT OF ARIZONA TRYING TO INFLUENCE THE RESULTS OF THE VOTING !!!

But today, I read this from Houston Chronicle about Yao Ming loses the ROY to Amare Stoudemire; AND I THINK THIS IS IT: YAO MING HAS LOST THE ROY TO AMARE STOUDEMIRE !!!!!!

1. The ROY award will be announced on tomorrow April 24 (Thursday). NBA is still tallying the balloting.

2. Yao Ming has yet to receive notification from NBA to travel to New York for the award presentation/press conference.

3. Yao Ming had already left Houston today - April 23 (Wednesday) for San Francisco, and will make it home to Shanghai, China over the week-end.

4. Yao Ming has gentlemanly conceded defeat by congraluating Amare Stoudemire by saying: "Congratulations to Amare. This is just the start of many years (of competition between them) to come."

WELL, JUST HOPE YAO MING WILL NOT BE TOO DISHEARTENED BY THE LOSS OF THE ROY AWARD. HE SURE KNOWS THAT HE IS STILL OUR HERO AND ROY !!!

April 23, 2003, 1:14PM

Yao Ming loses Rookie of the Year to Stoudemire

By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

Rockets first-year center Yao Ming, who earned rare levels of acclaim and attention this season, apparently has lost out to Amare Stoudemire of the Phoenix Suns in the race for the NBA's Rookie of the Year Award.

The NBA is expected to announce Stoudemire as the winner on Thursday after one of the most anticipated rookie battles in years.

It will be the second time in less than two weeks that the Suns have edged the Rockets -- Phoenix beat out Houston for the final playoff spot in the Western Conference by one game.

The NBA announced its awards schedule for the week today and will present rookie of the year on Thursday. Sources close to Yao, however, said he had no contact with the league about attending a press conference. He was scheduled to leave Houston today on his way to San Francisco and will return home to Shanghai over the weekend.

"Congratulations to Amare," Yao said. "This is just the start of many years (of competition between them) to come."

Yao, the first player taken in the NBA Draft, and Stoudemire, taken ninth, had similar statistics throughout the season.

Stoudemire averaged 13.5 points, 8.8 rebounds, 1.1 blocked shots and one assist per game. He made 47.2 percent of his shots and 66.1 percent of his free throws.

Yao averaged 13.5 points 8.2 rebounds, 1.8 blocked shots and 2.8 assists per game. He made 49.8 percent of his shots and 81.1 percent of his free throws.

The Suns, however, pulled away from the Rockets in the race for the last playoff spot, building a three-game lead before losing the final two games after already clinched the playoff spot.

The Rockets, however, beat the Suns in three of their four meeting this season. Yao averaged 13.3 points and 6.8 rebounds, making 55.6 percent of his shots against the Suns. Stoudemire averaged 13 points and 6.5 rebounds, making 36.6 percent of his shots against the Rockets.

UNQUOTE

ImageImageImageImageImage

:P :oops: :P :oops:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:18 pm
User avatarPosts: 370Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2003 11:08 am
I think Yao not getting the award and being a good sports about it shows a lot. Imagine if Yao got the award over Amare. Amare would probably throw a hissy fit, and look even more immature than he is. In a way, I think Yao doesn't need the award. He's done so much, and from his perspective, I'm sure the award is the least of all he is appreciating. A year ago, he wasn't a millionare, world famous, and didn't have 5000 dollars worth of video games. Now he has all those things, a town that loves him, American friends, a nice, big house, ect.

I'm happy for all Yao has done. I'm sure Yao is happy for himself as well. I think if Yao had to choose between getting ROY and being able to go back to China this summer, he would choose the latter. Friends, family--those things are the most important thing to him.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:34 pm
I totally agree with what you said likemindeddude and might I add you are ONE HOT TAMALE. Good Lord I have never seen such a gorgeous lady posting on a basketball forum before. :shock:

Alright since I got a little off track with my train of thought, I thought that Yao doesn't need the award to solidfy himself as a future star, but I thought at the very least he should have been named CO-ROY with Amare. Yao has already proven himself and is a great source of pride for all Asians and to me the ROY would have been another step forward for Asians. I would have loved to have seen him be the first asian to win ROY, but I guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer before that accomplishment is achieved from someone else. Hopefully that Ha Seung Jin fella and Yi JianLian(sp.) can live up to their potentials so that we can see more and more Asians dominant the hardwoods.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:48 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
Penny wrote:
I totally agree with what you said likemindeddude and might I add you are ONE HOT TAMALE. Good Lord I have never seen such a gorgeous lady posting on a basketball forum before. :shock:

Alright since I got a little off track with my train of thought, I thought that Yao doesn't need the award to solidfy himself as a future star, but I thought at the very least he should have been named CO-ROY with Amare. Yao has already proven himself and is a great source of pride for all Asians and to me the ROY would have been another step forward for Asians. I would have loved to have seen him be the first asian to win ROY, but I guess we'll have to wait a little bit longer before that accomplishment is achieved from someone else. Hopefully that Ha Seung Jin fella and Yi JianLian(sp.) can live up to their potentials so that we can see more and more Asians dominant the hardwoods.

Penny, guess what,

I won't be posting under likemindeddude anymore. Apparantly, when I uploaded that pic, I decided to go back and add some things on my profile, and then the next thing I know, I can't log on under my ID, so until then, or unless this doesn't get fixed, this is my ID, less of a mystique, but I couldn't think of anything creative, and I didn't want Likeminded2. Real lame.

But back to the point. Yao is more man than Amare to revel in getting an award, especially since future accolades are much more important. MVP. Defense Player of the Year. NBA FINALS MVP. All Star MVP. Ect.

Really, how does ROY compare to all that. Those awards are much more important. I bet a lot of the previous recepients of ROY would give their award up for a ring, or a couple more rings, or an MVP award. I really do.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 6:15 pm
User avatarPosts: 67Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:57 pm
TannerSearle78 wrote:
Penny wrote:

Penny, guess what,

I won't be posting under likemindeddude anymore. Apparantly, when I uploaded that pic, I decided to go back and add some things on my profile, and then the next thing I know, I can't log on under my ID, so until then, or unless this doesn't get fixed, this is my ID, less of a mystique, but I couldn't think of anything creative, and I didn't want Likeminded2. Real lame.

But back to the point. Yao is more man than Amare to revel in getting an award, especially since future accolades are much more important. MVP. Defense Player of the Year. NBA FINALS MVP. All Star MVP. Ect.

Really, how does ROY compare to all that. Those awards are much more important. I bet a lot of the previous recepients of ROY would give their award up for a ring, or a couple more rings, or an MVP award. I really do.

Oh okay Tanner, may I add you have a beautiful name as well, if it is your name that is.

Okay enough with my lame attempts at flirting, Yeah I understand where you are coming from, but I'm not really too upset that Amare won ROY. I actually know someone who went to high school with him and he said that he has lived a really rough life. So in fairness, I think he deserves it just as much as Yao because of his struggles getting into the NBA. I just hope that he doesn't take those championship rings and those multiple MVP's away from Yao's future playing days anytime soon. :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:07 pm
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
GoYao wrote:
Unfortunately the general American public digs ego-centric bad-boy a-holes and not nice guys. Case and point, Ray Allen (Bucks, now Sonics) is the model citizen. No fights, no tattoos, no rings on the nose, no off court scoops, no cursing at the refs - do you see anyone, media or general public, idolize the sh*t out of him? Yeah, most would say what a nice guy he is (like they do with Yao) but deep inside no one gives him any respect. Most of the NBA players have attitude problems and tattoos all over is no coincident.
Yao lost ROY and Amare is just as simple, deep inside those a-hole voters, who have huge egos themselves, dig punk-attitude Amare more than nice and "soft" Yao and give Yao no respect. If Yao had got in some fights this year Yao would have won ROY hands down.

That is what went wrong with the NBA for years. However, I do think that you underestimate general public.
People do not interested to watch NBA for years it because it turns to be games that full of arrogrant, self-centered athletes.

Yao is a breath of fresh air and attract back the old fans and also pulls in the new fans.
I think the new fans will dictate the way these athletes conducting themself.

I am, for one, will not support the off-court classless act of Amare, the marihuana addiction of Griffin or Shaq's lame racist joke.
If more people interested in watching the NBA and like the way Yao or Duncan conduct themself on and off the court, they will cry and boycourt the opposite behavior.

I hope that it will happen. :)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:42 pm
amare stoudamre is a ****** gangbanger who should be drug dealing on some street. he's 20 and probably can't even spell or read. ****** him. yao should get it because he's smart and probably didn't come from some crack head black hooker.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:04 pm
stfu, dumbass.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 8:16 pm
Anonymous wrote:

what is dumb is you continuing to post your comments under the veil of anonymity :!:

Offline Profile