<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Yao lost the Rookie of the Year award!!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 397Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 7:17 pm
Cipherous!

Just ignore the post from Caojiiong, Caojong_, or other variations of the names.

Some people are sadly having fun with impersonating other people.
And by doing that they posts rude and racist messages because they disguise themself as others. :( :(

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:07 pm
Yun,

As funny as this has been, i'm not racist. i think amare is a good player and deserves ROY.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:34 am
Yun wrote:
GoYao wrote:
Unfortunately the general American public digs ego-centric bad-boy a-holes and not nice guys. Case and point, Ray Allen (Bucks, now Sonics) is the model citizen. No fights, no tattoos, no rings on the nose, no off court scoops, no cursing at the refs - do you see anyone, media or general public, idolize the sh*t out of him? Yeah, most would say what a nice guy he is (like they do with Yao) but deep inside no one gives him any respect. Most of the NBA players have attitude problems and tattoos all over is no coincident.
Yao lost ROY and Amare is just as simple, deep inside those a-hole voters, who have huge egos themselves, dig punk-attitude Amare more than nice and "soft" Yao and give Yao no respect. If Yao had got in some fights this year Yao would have won ROY hands down.

That is what went wrong with the NBA for years. However, I do think that you underestimate general public.
People do not interested to watch NBA for years it because it turns to be games that full of arrogrant, self-centered athletes.

Yao is a breath of fresh air and attract back the old fans and also pulls in the new fans.
I think the new fans will dictate the way these athletes conducting themself.

I am, for one, will not support the off-court classless act of Amare, the marihuana addiction of Griffin or Shaq's lame racist joke.
If more people interested in watching the NBA and like the way Yao or Duncan conduct themself on and off the court, they will cry and boycourt the opposite behavior.

I hope that it will happen. :)

Yes, there are NBA fans out there like you (and me) who appreciates classy behavior and not punk-gangster attitudes - the whole reason why Yao was voted All-Star. Too bad we don't get to vote for ROY and those idiot sports writers do, otherwise Yao will get it too. You can just imagine those testosterone charged big-headed sports writers - "What? Vote for Yao? Do I want to be known for liking "soft" players like Yao? I better vote for Amare so people will think I dig badass players with attitude! That goes better with my tough-man image..."

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:20 am
Posts: 1319Location: New YorkJoined: Tue Mar 18, 2003 4:52 pm
that is so true. allan houston from the knicks is an other example.

GoYao wrote:
Unfortunately the general American public digs ego-centric bad-boy a-holes and not nice guys. Case and point, Ray Allen (Bucks, now Sonics) is the model citizen. No fights, no tattoos, no rings on the nose, no off court scoops, no cursing at the refs - do you see anyone, media or general public, idolize the sh*t out of him? Yeah, most would say what a nice guy he is (like they do with Yao) but deep inside no one gives him any respect. Most of the NBA players have attitude problems and tattoos all over is no coincident.
Yao lost ROY and Amare is just as simple, deep inside those a-hole voters, who have huge egos themselves, dig punk-attitude Amare more than nice and "soft" Yao and give Yao no respect. If Yao had got in some fights this year Yao would have won ROY hands down.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:37 am
Posts: 476Location: Houston, TXJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:51 am
If you guys are saying that only bad boys win NBA awards than you all are sadly wrong. How can you explain guys like Tim Duncan and David Robinson winning? Hakeem winning the MVP?! They are upstanding citizens and role models. You can't use the lame excuse that Americans are racists, ofcourse there are race issues but Asians have racists among them too. For example, when Tuffy Rhodes was about break the all time Japanese baseball home run record the other clubs didn't pitch to him!!! They thought that no foreigners so break a Oh's record. If that's not racial prejudice I don't know what is. I think Amare deserved to win as much as Yao Ming did and unfortunately the Suns made the playoffs and we didn't. The sportwriters maybe idiots but it doesn't warrant a racist comment. Afterall many sport writers throughout the nation supported Yao Ming as a player and a person. I think Yao could care less wether or not he won the ROY award, it would've be nice but it's ok. Yao has a brighter future ahead of him than Amare ever will. Like i said before, Yao could win the MVP next year! :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:04 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
Nawzer wrote:
If you guys are saying that only bad boys win NBA awards than you all are sadly wrong. How can you explain guys like Tim Duncan and David Robinson winning? Hakeem winning the MVP?! They are upstanding citizens and role models. You can't use the lame excuse that Americans are racists, ofcourse there are race issues but Asians have racists among them too. For example, when Tuffy Rhodes was about break the all time Japanese baseball home run record the other clubs didn't pitch to him!!! They thought that no foreigners so break a Oh's record. If that's not racial prejudice I don't know what is. I think Amare deserved to win as much as Yao Ming did and unfortunately the Suns made the playoffs and we didn't. The sportwriters maybe idiots but it doesn't warrant a racist comment. Afterall many sport writers throughout the nation supported Yao Ming as a player and a person. I think Yao could care less wether or not he won the ROY award, it would've be nice but it's ok. Yao has a brighter future ahead of him than Amare ever will. Like i said before, Yao could win the MVP next year! :wink:

ESPN did a really interesting article on the whole concept of "street credibility," better known as simply "Street Cred," a couple months back. The NBA of the eighties and nineties are over, the classy Magic Johnsons and Isiah Thomases and Larry Birds and Jordans and Ewings. We're in the generation of the Allen Iversons and Ben Wallaces and Kevin Garnetts. Street cred is something that came from urban basketball, street basketball, where reputation is just as important as skill and power, where word on a player is all over the streets before he even hits NCAA or NBA competition. It's a sort of mystique, where they don't let themselves be known very easily. They have attitude that they channel into the game. It's definately an ooga-ooga male mytholgized persona, and I guess that's why so many people rag on Kobe Bryant, because even though he is so good, he has no street cred. In the ESPN article, it was mentioned how Kobe Bryant, during the off season, tried to go to the famous black-top basketball courts to play pick-up games (a lot of NBA and college basketball players do this), and no one respected him. This whole street cred thing didn't exist yet during the Michael Jordan era, which is why, I think, he had such problems with the Wizards team this year. There was definately a generation gap, too many young players with that street cred attitude. Anyway, ESPN went into this concept, then listed all the players known by these new generation of fans to have street cred:
Kevin Garnett
Amare Stoudamire
Ben Wallace
And a bunch of other people I can't remember

They said Allen Iverson used to have tons of street cred, but he got commercial and did rap albums, a movie with Denzel Washington, so his gangster motif almost started to seem forced, almost artificial. I don't really understand this, well, I sort of do. It's almost like a hip-hop thing. A lot of my black friends can't stand Will Smith as a rapper because he has no "street cred." L.L Cool J used to have tons of street cred--according to them--when he came out with "Momma going to knock you out," but then he did TV shows, movies, all sorts of stuff. he let the public get to know him too well, so if he did a song saying he was going to kill "yo momma,' no one could really believe him. ANYWAY, going back to Allen Iverson, people are saying the same thing. He let the public get to know him too well, and to the point where people don't think he's completely for real in that street sense.

Basketball may have come from Canada with that peach basket thing and was predominantly white in the fifties, but black culture has really taken over, almost to the point where the game originated from inner city streets. You don't hear "street cred" being tossed around in other sports. Well, I don't follow football or baseball or any other pro sports, but at least I don't think people are talking about "street cred." I don't follow boxing, but it seems that whole concept of "street cred" is there, having to pose that front.

When that ESPN article mentione Amare Stoudamire, whoever wrote it said that Amare is bleeding with street cred, and partly because he doesn't do commercials, he's really stoic during interviews, arrogant, cocky, doesn't let the public get to know him too well when he's in front of a camera. It's like a purity thing, like he's only always all about basketball, like that's all he wants people to see of him. Even women's basketball has this. I've had so many black girls get in my face in pick up games, talking trash, telling me I have no street cred, to go back to playing in a suburban gym with all the rich white girls, and I was like woah, because they were being like totally serious, like even if I scored on them with a driving lay up, it was like they were still better than me. I was like, Gosh, it's only a game, but I guess that's why I don't have street cred, because I think it's when a person thinks of the game as a battleground or osmething. I grew up playing outdoors, but sports has been a game--even taekwondo has been a game--not like real life, but in basketball, in street basketball, it is life, like warfare. The best way I can describe is when I went biking with this guy I dated for a while. he was like way ahead of me, and then this car pulled up by me, and these guys came out and cut me off. A bunch of really, really big hispanic guys, cat calling, not being threatening. Well, my boyfriend, I guess, biked back down, and threw his bike at the car and put up his fists and was like, "Let's go," and I was like "let's just leave," but he wasn't even listenig to me, and it was like this whole male sphere I couldn't really enter. One of those guys had a gun, not like he was going to shoot it, but he was waving it around, and my boyfriend didn't care. He was totally focused, and they were, too. I pulled him away eventually, and he was totally pissed at me, and not at the guys, for pulling him away, and I really couldn't understand it. He was in warrior mode, like a whole new level of seriousness. That's the best way I can explain street cred. It's all mentality. It's totally that whole mythical warrior attitude, like in epic folklore, where the warrior comes home to his village and he's still always only the warrior, feared, revered, worshiped. Not hero, warrior. A purity of ferocity, like a total zen of maleness, though in the game of basketball,it's everywhere, even in women's college basketball or the NBA or WNBA. More so with players who grew up playing street ball, where no matter what court they're on--black top or madison square garden--they always think, "it's not a game, it's for real, it's a real battle"

I don't know. Does all this make sense? It's sort of basketball culture. No, wait. It's probably urban American basketball culture, which is why Yao could never have street cred. I mean, it's not like people in the NBA expect him to because he's a foreign player. he'll be praised in the way Nowitzki and all the foreign players with skills are praised, but I think it would be good for Yao Ming, during one of his off seasons, to go down to one of the major American cities--maybe LA, or New York--and play a month or two of street ball, where no fouls are called, where people climb and punch and argue, and see how that changes his mental approach to the game. Does this make sense to anyone?

Last edited by TannerSearle78 on Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:06 pm
is there anyway we can let the sport media know that Yao deserves the ROY more than Amare?
:roll:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:24 pm
Posts: 476Location: Houston, TXJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 10:51 am
Quote:
I don't know. Does all this make sense? It's sort of basketball culture. No, wait. It's probably urban American basketball culture, which is why Yao could never have street cred. I mean, it's not like people in the NBA expect him to because he's a foreign player. he'll be praised in the way Nowitzki and all the foreign players with skills are praised, but I think it would be good for Yao Ming, during one of his off seasons, to go down to one of the major American cities--maybe LA, or New York--and play a month or two of street ball, where no fouls are called, where people climb and punch and argue, and see how that changes his mental approach to the game. Does this make sense to anyone?

Yao Ming doesn't have street cred. He doesn't need it. If Yao wanted to have street cred he could've played street ball this summer in NY instead of going to China. Just because Yao Ming didn't win the ROY award doesn't mean the end of the world for him. This is being blown way over proportions. I understand that you guys as well as I, wanted him to win the ROY, but he didn't, so what? Yao knows what he needs to do over the summer to be a better player next year and he's gonna work on that. But I do agree that Yao Ming needs to change his attitude a little bit, be more aggressive, more in your face, it will do him good but overall he's cool just the way he is. That's why people have fallen in love with Yao Ming instead of Amare. There's hundreds of players who have Amare's attitude like Amare, Steve Francis being one. Kobe Bryant doesn't have street cred but guess what he has? 3 NBA championship rings and about to win number 4. So think about it, what's important street cred or NBA championships. Peace out! i'm out for the weekend and yall have a good one :wink:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:36 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
I agree. Kobe is probably better off with three rings than that whole street cred founded reputation. Personally, I wish it was like the Jordan days, but it's not. Yao is a breath of fresh air. He's classy in the . . . "old school" sense, the way Larry Bird and the old NBA greats were and still are.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 2:44 pm