<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Yao lost the Rookie of the Year award!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:20 pm
>>>>I don't know. Does all this make sense? It's sort of basketball culture. No, wait. It's probably urban American basketball culture, which is why Yao could never have street cred. I mean, it's not like people in the NBA expect him to because he's a foreign player. he'll be praised in the way Nowitzki and all the foreign players with skills are praised, but I think it would be good for Yao Ming, during one of his off seasons, to go down to one of the major American cities--maybe LA, or New York--and play a month or two of street ball, where no fouls are called, where people climb and punch and argue, and see how that changes his mental approach to the game. Does this make sense to anyone?[/quote]

After seeing the recent increase of dumb posts, it is good to read a good and thoughtful reply.

It's definitely a culture but it does not mean the dominant culture. Media need news and stories to tell and so it is not unusual to have these bad boys stories.

Luckily, there is also a new culture (?) of international players emerging. Of course, I am not talking about the good vs bad or black vs white. But at least, we can see more variety and people can choose things they want.

YM will always "stand" out. Probably, he may gradually be influenced by the NBA culture. But hopefully, he also make some influence on the NBA as well.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:58 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
If Yao Ming was playing in the eighties and early nineties, his classiness would not make him the stand out he is now. Yao is classy in the way players used to be in the NBA. Back in the early nineties, the first gangsta, thugged out players starting coming into the pic, and now they're the trend setters in the league.

You're right, Notcool. Foriegn players are changing things now. Nowitzki is so fun to watch, and I always enjoy what he has to say, especially with that cute German accent of his. Same for Peja. Divac . . . . eh. I keep seeing his brother coming out in golf pants saying, "Veee Are Two VILD and Crazeee guys!"

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:05 pm
natedogg22 wrote:
To me, Yao is not a true rookie by traditional standards. He has been playing in a professional league- CBA (yes, inferior to NBA, but still) for 4 years. Given that kind of experience, his numbers should have been alot higher this season ideally: 20pts, 15rb, 4 blk per game.

Let's see how many players get more than 20pts, 10rbs, and 4 blks per game during the regular season.

The answer: None, nothing, zero.

20pts, 15rbs The answer: 0
20pts, 10rbs The answer: 3 (K.G, T.Duncan, J.O'Neal)

About Yao not being a true rookie, you are just being ridiculous. Let's face it: NCAA is a minor league. The competition in NCAA is fierce and some of those players probably MAKE more money than Yao ever did in CBA. (Even Lebron James makes more money than Yao ever did in CBA.)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:53 pm
User avatarPosts: 2161Joined: Wed Mar 26, 2003 2:06 pm
Tanner-

A nice piece on that whole "Street Cred" thing. It's all a myth, girl- don't buy into it. It's no wonder that NBA "popularity" and revenue has gone way down over the years thanks to this phenominon. I can't believe these f***king greedy White owners have reduced themselves to embracing thugs. The same kind of people that they would despise, afraid to share the same street with, spit on and never would allow their daughters to be a mile near them. But because these f***king thugs turn basketball players make money for these greedy bastards, they don't have a problem liking them or even letting their daughters "get" with them. It's a pretty sad world. Nice guys like Yao do finish last. I don't know how long this f***king 'Street Cred' thing gonna last, but I'll tell you what, rich white owners are the ghetto, tattoo, street-thuged kid's life line. They can cut it off at anytime they decided that these thugs are poisoning and threatening their civilization. Then, what will these ghetto kids do with the orange round ball that doesn't make them any money. It won't be called 'Street Cred" then, it'll just be a friendly basketball game.

Peace out,

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:15 am
Posts: 122Location: Bay Area, CAJoined: Mon Feb 10, 2003 1:10 am
natedogg22 wrote:
I've realized that he has had many successes this past season, however, I thought he could have done alot more to help his game and sealed the ROY award. Overall, Yao lacked the aggressiveness, ambition, leadership and most of all the HUNGER to be the champ his rookie season. Instead, he chose the nice and comfortable road to walk down. That is to play like a gentleman, be nice to people, be gregarious, and just to make to make it thru this season injure-free so that he can go back home in one piece. MAYBE all this will change next season maybe not. I am a big fan of Yao this past year, but in the end, I don't think that he truely deserves ROY. I think AS is more deserving with all that he accomplishes in his TRUE rookie year.

GO YAO...MVP NEXT SEASON!!!!

You are just like those sportswriters who propped Yao up all season long then slam him down in the end. :roll:

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:25 am
Posts: 1Location: chinatown vancity babyJoined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:15 am
yo
i just think that yao totally deserves it
he leads amare in all categories except rebounds
and amare wasnt as big as marbury and marion in their playoff run
even tho they only made it in by one game
yao shamed all the critics and ****** on the doubters
and after that he cooled the hype.
Amare cant do ****** except dunk and rebound
thats just ****** up.
all the sportswriters that vote against yao are all pussies and cant live up to the fact that yao threw eggs at their face
anyway
we shouldnt care about ROY
i think in a couple years Yao's gonna be MVP status
the rate he's maturing now is gonna boost him up there with kobe, kg, tmac and them
amare s gonna be another washed up shawn kemp
thats his idol
and marbury is gonna be an asshole

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:27 am
Posts: 1Location: chinatown vancity babyJoined: Fri Apr 25, 2003 12:15 am
yo
i just think that yao totally deserves it
he leads amare in all categories except rebounds
and amare wasnt as big as marbury and marion in their playoff run
even tho they only made it in by one game
yao shamed all the critics and ****** on the doubters
and after that he cooled the hype.
Amare cant do ****** except dunk and rebound
thats just ****** up.
all the sportswriters that vote against yao are all pussies and cant live up to the fact that yao threw eggs at their face
anyway
we shouldnt care about ROY
i think in a couple years Yao's gonna be MVP status
the rate he's maturing now is gonna boost him up there with kobe, kg, tmac and them
amare s gonna be another washed up shawn kemp
thats his idol
and marbury is gonna be an asshole

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:19 am
Posts: 853Location: The Golden StateJoined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 4:25 am
TannerSearle78 wrote:
Well, time for Yao to start working on in the weight room so he can get the MVP trophy next year. :wink:

That's funny. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:13 pm
Posts: 155Location: Deep in da Dirty DirtyJoined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:40 am
The crazy thing about it is that statistically Yao was the better player and he sold out arenas all across the country. The only thing that set Amare apart is that he is still playing and Yao is not. I believe that Phoenix's success of late has more to do with Stephon Marbury accepting the point guard role and trying to play to make his team better. Amare did show some raw talent and put up great numbers against two solid MVP candidates. But so did Yao. Yao just wasn't such an enthusiastic dunker or shot blocker. He played smarter and stayed within his game. That is the reason Kobe gets more love from the press than Tim Duncan does. The press at large prefers flash over substance, but if any of those guys had to pick up a team to play with, they would all rather be on Yao's team. If for no other reason because Yao has a better understanding of the game and can and will distribute the ball. He averaged nearly 3 assists per game to Amare's 1. That is a telling stat in my opinion. I tells me he is a better decision maker in the post and on the floor. Next year, if Yao doesn't wear himself out with his other obligations, he will hit the NBA like a force of nature and cause a whole new round of regrets among the people that made this decision.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:28 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
Well, well, said. Well said.

Offline Profile WWW