<  Yao and me  ~  Yao Ming Basketball card collectors

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 9:39 am
Posts: 5Location: New JerseyJoined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:56 pm
I have to say that for nearly 15 yrs I was strictly a baseball card collector, until recently that is.

ONLY because of Yao did I decide to start collecting basketball cards.

I began watching a few games here and there, and it was not hard to see that he is truly a gifted athlete.

In Oct. 2003 I bought my very first basketball card, a 02/03 Bowman Signature rc Yao Ming auto /999....I was immediately hooked. I now buy nothing but Yao Ming certified issued autographs.

Since then I have gone on to have a website built to display my Yao Ming auto collection (feel free to take a look).

Yao Ming Auto Collection

Finally, this is in no way an attempt to trade/buy/sell here.

I am just proud of my collection, and love to let others view it. I also love to run into other Yao card collectors, to chat, compare notes...ect

Thanks for reading. And here's to a Houston Rocket championship run in the VERY near future..!!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 2:19 pm
Posts: 1502Location: San Diego CAJoined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm
Value, $12,500!?
Holy Christ!!!

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:07 pm
wudude wrote:
Value, $12,500!?
Holy Christ!!!

Yes. Though that is an "approx." value. Alot of the cards cannot be priced in the price guide due to scarcity.

And that value does not include my Yao 1/1 auto I just bought. Tack on another $3500. just for the one card.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:19 pm
Posts: 1502Location: San Diego CAJoined: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:51 pm
YaoMingautos wrote:
wudude wrote:
Value, $12,500!?
Holy Christ!!!

Yes. Though that is an "approx." value. Alot of the cards cannot be priced in the price guide due to scarcity.

And that value does not include my Yao 1/1 auto I just bought. Tack on another $3500. just for the one card.

Have you ever thought about selling?

One of my brother's friend's dad is very well off by collecting/selling cards.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:48 am
User avatarPosts: 554Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:15 am
Sooner or later some Chinese triad group's gonna be printing some fakes ones and start selling them on ebay or on some classified ads... :shock:

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 12:44 pm
wudude wrote:
YaoMingautos wrote:
wudude wrote:
Value, $12,500!?
Holy Christ!!!

Have you ever thought about selling?

One of my brother's friend's dad is very well off by collecting/selling cards.

I would probably sell...someday. But for right now I enjoy watching Yao and collecting his autos.

I plan on buikding the best Yao auto collection and having a few articles run about it...maybe in the Beckett basketball price guide (even though I despise them).

Once I accomplish that, I would probably sell and move onto another area in the hobby of collecting.

Offline Profile WWW
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:35 am
User avatarPosts: 2237Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 8:42 am
Dude, what's the point, if I want to have a Yao Ming Card, I would rather make one for myself.

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:12 pm
You've got a heck of a collection. That is awesome!

Some of those autographs are so rare it must be had collecting them all.

Good luck on your quest of collecting all the Yao autos. The cards look great!

I have one naive question. In looking at Yao's autograph it just looks like a big scribble to me. Is he writing his name in english or chinese? Also if it is chinese writing it certainly doesn't look like the chinese manuscript I am use to seeing i.e. the popular tattoos that alot of people have these days.

Thanks.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:21 pm
Posts: 820Location: wow wow wowJoined: Sun Apr 06, 2003 7:25 pm
It's in Chinese.

For sure a Chinese signature would be regarded as just scribble as opposed to resembling regular printed Chinese characters to somebody not familiar with the language (As would be the case with an English signature as well)

Yao's signature is pretty legible compared with alot of other Chinese signatures as you can still discern and recognize the characters. :P

Offline Profile ICQ
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 6:06 pm
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
LiquidSOul wrote:
Yao's signature is pretty legible compared with alot of other Chinese signatures as you can still discern and recognize the characters. :P

YUP.... here it goes with Yao's signature. See his signature is very legible when one compares it to his Chinese name:- 姚明

Offline Profile