<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Can I Swear???

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:15 am
I was glad that Yao Ming only played 14 minutes, especially since I'm sure he's exhausted from all the media attention and the rigors of playing an NBA season. Sure it would have been fantastic if he received more playing time, but I think the fact that he was still a rookie was probably more of a factor to his low minutes than any racial considerations. Anyway, he was able to put up big time minute, points and rebounds during the next game that counted. (Too bad the Rockets lost to Utah).

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 9:30 am
munco wrote:
The reason why David stern and everyone loves Jordan is because he's the greatest player ever. How much money did Jordan bring in? Magic, Larry, Dr. J, Kareem, the Big O, Russell, Wilt, etc. were all great players but Michael was the greatest. The NBA is what is today because of Michael. Larry and Michael brought a fierce rivalry, but the money really came pouring in with Michael.

I think 'greatest ever' is a totally subjective opinion. Jordan was good but his basketball skills should never be confused with his money making ability. He's the best NBA salesman at all time (so far), I know that. Whether he's 'the greatest ever', it all depends on who's giving out the opinion. If people say Kareem or Wilt or Bird or Magic or Oscar or Isiah or Mikan or even Greg Ostertag is the greatest ever, they are not wrong. I think Jordan's skills, as good as they were, were greatly exaggerated by the media (part of the 'sell the NBA' campaign).

That said, I think the whole all star game was too much of a tribute to him. It's okay to give him props (even though there's double standard because there wasn't any love for Stockton/Malone/Robinson - double standard will always exist in the NBA, just like in life). However last weekend was totally overkill.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 5:50 pm
munco- I don't think you know what you are talking about and is ignorant if you think race has no part. If NBA is 90% Chinese you don't think africans and europeans would complain?
Only a few decades ago there were no blacks in sports, should they not have complained?

We must be consistent. If we want the BEST qualified people in NBA and not people there with special treatment, then apply it to colleges and companies! No exceptions, excuses!!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 2:35 pm
Well said, yaosiming.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 12:15 pm
Posts: 1187Location: Vancouver, BC, CanadaJoined: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:46 pm
All-Stars games are just a show. I am not bothered by any bit of it. Being a Chinese-Canadian, I am honored that Yao was a starter and that he was having fun on that day.

Also, Yao handled the media very well, in particular the part that he rejected the offer of an exclusive press conference. He's truly an intelligent guy who knows that being a rookie, overshadowing senior players is not a wise move.

He'll soon be getting the respect of all players in the NBA.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:11 pm
Posts: 9Location: OFALLON, ILLINOISJoined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:11 pm
ALL I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE ALL STAR GAME WAS IT WAS A JOKE!!! I KNOW YAO IS A ROOKIE AND IT IS RARE TO SEE SOMEONE LIKE HIM THERE BUT GIVE ME A BREAK. HE HARDLEY PLAYED AT ALL. AND I CANT BELIEVE HE WASN'T ATLEAST IN THE OVERTIMES. SO MANY PEOPLE VOTED FOR HIM TO BE ON THE TEAM AND WERE PROBABLY VERY DISAPPOINTED BY HIS LACK OF PLAYING TIME. THEY REALLY DIDN'T EVEN GIVE HIM THE BALL MUCH WHEN HE WAS OUT THERE. IT WAS A BIG DISAPPOINTMENT FOR ME. I AM GLAD HE GOT THE OPPERTUNITY TO DO IT. BUT, WHAT A WASTE OF A BALL GAME. THINK ABOUT HOW MUCH MORE EXCITING IT WOULD HAVE BEEN IF HE WOULD HAVE PLAYED MORE. NOW THOSE ARE THE KIND OF THINGS MEMORIES ARE MADE OF!!!! THANKS FOR LISTENING, JOHNNA

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:46 pm
User avatarPosts: 3504Location: LIU XIANG'S COUNTRYJoined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:11 pm
CAPITALIZATION IS THE GREATEST INVENTION SINCE CALCULUS!!!!!!

Offline Profile WWW ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:20 pm
Posts: 67Location: CHICAGOJoined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 4:36 pm
[quote="caojiong"]CAPITALIZATION IS THE GREATEST INVENTION SINCE CALCULUS!!!!!![/quote]

A BETTER INVENTION-BASKETBALL.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 3:31 pm
User avatarPosts: 3504Location: LIU XIANG'S COUNTRYJoined: Sun Feb 09, 2003 10:11 pm
A BETTER INVENTION--- SPAM

Offline Profile WWW ICQ YIM
PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:37 pm
Posts: 408Location: TexasJoined: Thu Feb 06, 2003 11:12 pm
I have NEVER liked Michael Jordan, I don't hate him, but I don't like him either. Everyone always talked about him and it kinda got me sick of him. Everyone worshiped him, and still worships him like as if he's a god or something. :evil:

Offline Profile