<  Around the NBA  ~  Barkley's Lasting Friendship w a Chinese American From Iowa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:34 am
User avatarPosts: 12330Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:27 pm
Lin Wang had always considered himself to be one of the luckiest basketball fans ever,
because of his lasting friendship w Charles Barkley
Many years ago, Wang was on a business trip in Sacramento, CA walking in the lobby of a hotel when he saw Charles Barkley, who was there speaking at a charity event.

"So, I just went to say hi and take a picture with him,". they struck up a conversation and had dinner which lasted for several hours. And the night after that. And at the end of the third night:

Barkley gave his phone number to Wang, saying 'Whenever you're in Atlanta, New York City or Phoenix, check out with me. If I’m in town, we'll hang out and have a good time

Over the next few years, whenever Wang was in those cities, he would text Barkley, and they would hang out.

They spent time on the set of Barkley's TNT show, "Inside the NBA."
In June 2015, Barkley's mother passed away. When Wang heard the news, he looked up the funeral details and hopped on a plane to Leeds, Alabama.
    "It ain’t easy to get to those places," Barkley said. "I’m from a very small town."

And Wang showed up for his friend. Afterward, he went to dinner with Barkley and his family.

"For Lin Wang to take the time to come to the funeral meant a great deal to me," Barkley said.

Then, in May 2016, Wang was diagnosed with cancer. He had tumors in his heart.

Days passed by. Then months. Then, it was two years.

Wang never told Barkley that he was sick.

"I called him and got mad at him when I found out," Barkley said. "I was, like, 'Dude, we’re friends.
You can tell me. You’re not bothering me. You know me well enough — if you were bothering me,
I would tell you you were bothering me.' "

In June 2018, Lin Wang passed away; his daughter text Barkley.

The funeral was the day after the 2018 NBA Finals, set near the outskirts of Iowa City in a house by the woods.

And standing there — drenched in sweat from the Iowa summer, towering over everyone in the room at 6 feet, 6 inches tall — was Charles Barkley.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:04 am
Posts: 4492Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
Cool story...

Offline Profile YIM
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:14 am
Posts: 4492Location: NJ/NY Metro AreaJoined: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:07 pm
More details in an article written by Lin's daughter:

https://www.wbur.org/onlyagame/2018/12/ ... NW_pAp7IKE

Offline Profile YIM