<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  Great article on Yao's Rookie Of The YEar campaign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:05 pm
Nowadays we do have the WNBA and of course Womens' Collegiate Basketball has rocked the last few years. But growing up in NYC, I can honestly say that there were women with game long before the WNBA or NCAA became popular. Were they large numbers of women who played basketball? No. But boy the few women that played were GOOOOD! :D

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:07 pm
I want Yao to win the ROY award, but there's no guarantee that he will. It's a shame because while the Rockets didn't make the playoffs this year when most expected them to, Yao probably had a bigger impact on the NBA and his team than the other ROY candidates. Certainly if you look at the impact he has had for the Asian community (one clear example is this kick-ass website -- Thanks John!) and the potential that Yao has to bring the NBA to larger markets (think Asia), you would think that Yao is a shoe-in for ROY. Add on the media attention, the commercial endorsements, etc, you would think that Yao had ROY in the bag. Alas, the voting for ROY is not done by fans, the NBA coaches or (thankfully) the TV commentators, but done by the Sports writers from various cities. And one sad thing about that is that while Yao had a decent year, and his numbers are slightly better than the other rookies, the Rox have not made the playoffs. Amaire and the Pheonix Suns have made the playoffs and beat some of the Top teams of the NBA in the process. So while one could argue and argue about the merits of Yao and the impact he has had, it is really futile to speculate on the chances for Yao receiving ROY.

I guess what I'm trying to say in short is: I am rooting for Yao for ROY but I am not holding my breath, and if Amaire wins ROY, I wouldn't be suprised. Disappointed yes, but I'm sure if Yao continues to play in the NBA he will become one of the all-time greats. Who will remember who won ROY if Yao can win 10 championships? ;)

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 8:37 pm
Yao will win the ROY, since the Rockets have improved a lot more than the Suns have. Yao's stats are better than Amare's. That Amare is good but sometimes idiot as he jumps up and down for dunks like a rabbit.
Dunks will not win you championships. Yao has a lot more assists and blocks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:49 am
User avatarPosts: 59329Location: Hong Kong/ChinaJoined: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:13 am
Well, not sure about whether the information contained in the following article is true or not. It was released today over major Chinese websites: Tom.com and Sina.com.

http://sports.tom.com/Archive/1019/1042 ... 26422.html

[color=darkblue][i][b]Forget about the rest of the article, except the last paragraph:-

[size=150]由于NBA总部已私下通知小巨人,要其做好到纽约领奖的准备,并透露其获奖的可能性高达90%。

Offline Profile