Author Message

<  Yao's rookie season 2002-03  ~  oh well

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:18 pm
It's not surprising that the NBA (and indeed the sports crowd in this country in general) is one corner where the remaining vestiges of racism are constantly on show. Certainly there are respectable athletes in the NBA, but over all, this is the league that tolerates some pretty shady characters as well as offhanded comments (like Shaq's, but he's far from the only one) while civil society has moved on. The voting probably went straight along racial lines, but I am more worried about the endemic attitude like that allegedly expressed by Stoudemire.


PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:13 pm
Posts: 6Location: SFJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:58 pm
it doesn't seem Amare is a very humble character..
I think it's understandable since he came straight from HS and athletically gifted unlike any other kid, he is bound to be cocky and expects everything to be handed to him


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:47 am
User avatarPosts: 67Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:57 pm
it wrote:
It's not surprising that the NBA (and indeed the sports crowd in this country in general) is one corner where the remaining vestiges of racism are constantly on show. Certainly there are respectable athletes in the NBA, but over all, this is the league that tolerates some pretty shady characters as well as offhanded comments (like Shaq's, but he's far from the only one) while civil society has moved on. The voting probably went straight along racial lines, but I am more worried about the endemic attitude like that allegedly expressed by Stoudemire.


What kind of endemic attitude did Amare express. :?: I've always thought that Amare was considered a nice guy.

About these sports media types, I don't want to get into an argument about racism, but I feel that race hardly played a role in the voting for ROY. In fact from what I've heard, Yao had the ROY wrapped up until he started sucking it up the last month of the season. I mean let's face it, I'm sure that some of those voters voted for Amare because they wanted to save face from their bashing of Yao earlier in the season, but overall I feel that the majority of the voters saw that Amare's team made the playoffs and Yao's team didn't, plain and simple. That alone probably persuaded them to vote for Amare for ROY.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:10 am
Posts: 234Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:03 pm
ROY has nothing to do with making playoffs. Stat-wise YAO and ability YAO. Teams PLAY against YAO. AS is played as your normal everyday center.......not to mention having Marbury and Marion. C'mon stop hating and realize YAO got robbed.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 8:18 am
User avatarPosts: 67Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:57 pm
vaderschariot wrote:
ROY has nothing to do with making playoffs. Stat-wise YAO and ability YAO. Teams PLAY against YAO. AS is played as your normal everyday center.......not to mention having Marbury and Marion. C'mon stop hating and realize YAO got robbed.


I ain't hating vaderschariot, I'm just pointing out the mentality of the sports media. The thing is though, you can consider that some of Yao's staunchiest supporters have quote on quote "turned on him." Just look at Bill Walton's latest column and listen to Kenny Smith. They were Yao's biggest supporters, but they voted for Amare for ROY cause the mentality of the sports media was that whoever went to the playoffs, they win ROY. It was that cut and dry for them. While I don't agree with that and Yao not winning ROY, I also wouldn't have agreed with the decision of Amare not getting the award cause he has been spectacular as well this season.

Look in a perfect world, they would have shared the ROY but we don't live in a perfect world so I just accept the hands that were dealt.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 10:14 am
Penny, are u Black? We could always use a non-asian perspective.


PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:17 am
User avatarPosts: 67Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:57 pm
Anonymous wrote:
Penny, are u Black? We could always use a non-asian perspective.


Nope, I'm not black so I guess I can't provide any non-asian perspective. I will say this though, people are saying that Amare winning the ROY was a result of his race, but did you know that Fred Carter, David Aldridge, Kevin Frazier, and Mike Tirico, who are all black, are all big supporters of Yao and actually voted for him for ROY. So if you look at it that way, I'm sure the reason for Yao not winning ROY was NOT because of racial favoring.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 11:39 am
Posts: 6Location: SFJoined: Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:58 pm
I agree with Penny, Yao did not get robbed for ROY award. As much as we want him to win, we have to look at the aggressiveness Amare played with throughout the season. He is the type of player that plays hard and shows no fear and had some great games and highlights. The awarded could've went either way. I'm sure Yao wll not get too upset over this and give credit to Amare for winning ROY. But once Yao get some rest and build up his body, then everyone will know who the better player is. Maybe by not winning ROY, there will be less pressure and expectation for Yao, which may be good for his development.


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:17 pm
Posts: 234Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2003 1:03 pm
Vera wrote:
I agree with Penny, Yao did not get robbed for ROY award. As much as we want him to win, we have to look at the aggressiveness Amare played with throughout the season. He is the type of player that plays hard and shows no fear and had some great games and highlights. The awarded could've went either way. I'm sure Yao wll not get too upset over this and give credit to Amare for winning ROY. But once Yao get some rest and build up his body, then everyone will know who the better player is. Maybe by not winning ROY, there will be less pressure and expectation for Yao, which may be good for his development.


"agressiveness"??? "great games and highlights"??? BOTH players had this and in the end YAO IS STILL STATISTICALLY BETTER......put Marion and Marbury on the rockets and you would have had a "human highlight reel" this year. C'mon HE GOT ROBBED....


Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 1:29 pm
User avatarPosts: 368Location: Fort BraggJoined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:35 pm
he didn't get the ROY, but he didn't get robbed. Geez, it's not like ROY is the definitive award of his career. Yao had a great season, but he did have that slump during the last month and as much as we want to blame larry smith or his teammates, it's all only speculative. I'm a Yao fan, but I'll always be a greater fan for the overall game, and I think it's really really useless to be so obsessive over one single award, like we were the ones who was supposed to recieve ROY. I mean, its not like Yao is probably obsessing over not getting it. If it's a matter of pride for Asian Americans, I completely understand, but if that's the case, we still shouldn't so pointlessly bitter, because Asians and Asian American fans got much, much, much more than they expected from all that Yao has accomplished this season. I mean, the more Asian and Asian American fans complain how unfair it is--or the more they speculate how racist the motives were--the more they, we, all look like an insecure and paranoid mob. Yao, being one of the first Asians in the NBA, has shown a lot of class, so I think the Asian fans should follow suit and try to show a little bit of maturiyt and class.


Offline Profile WWW

Display posts from previous:  Sort by:

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]
Page 1 of 2
13 posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests
Search for:
Post new topic  Reply to topic
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum