<  Yao and me  ~  YAO MING INTERNET FAN CLUB AT A FEE ????

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:06 pm
Red Sox wrote:
pryuen wrote:
sinobball wrote:
But 95% of the people in the forum haven't posted 200 posts yet, and you did it in 24 hours!

YUP....and WITHOUT due consideration of QUALITY !!! :shock: :evil: :x :twisted:

OK OK! I've already said I'm sorry and I'll stop...geeez... :roll:

wow.. 4000 posts already? weren't you just around 3800 12 hours ago?!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:09 pm
blooped wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :lol: Please don't say that with pryuen, sinobball, and cantonkid around. Especially cantonkid!

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:10 pm
User avatarPosts: 3321Location: L AJoined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:07 am
blooped wrote:
Red Sox wrote:
pryuen wrote:
sinobball wrote:
But 95% of the people in the forum haven't posted 200 posts yet, and you did it in 24 hours!

YUP....and WITHOUT due consideration of QUALITY !!! :shock: :evil: :x :twisted:

OK OK! I've already said I'm sorry and I'll stop...geeez... :roll:

he went madonna on the forum by resurrecting old posts.

even when he apologizes it pads his post count.

he's definitely desperate to reach 4000, a hell lot closer to pry than any of us are. but he's still scottie pippen to pry's jordan

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 9:21 pm
User avatarPosts: 3321Location: L AJoined: Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:07 am
Red Sox wrote:
blooped wrote:

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. :lol: Please don't say that with pryuen, sinobball, and cantonkid around. Especially cantonkid!

omg omg omg red sox is approachin 4500.. i bet pry is getting scared...

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 5:51 am
pryuen wrote:
What do you guys think about this ???

Personally think this is a dumb and dump idea of the Team Yao. WHY should have they concurred to such an arrangement ?? :shock: :evil: :x :twisted:

I'd rather stay here with YMM !!!

Sports Business News wrote:

Being a fan of Yao Ming can be costly

Being a Yao Ming fan will have a price.

Yao, an All-Star for the National Basketball Association's Houston Rockets, started his fan club on the Internet last week. Members can sign up for free -- but that will change. That and this report from Bloomberg News' Pete Coates

``There will be a charge,'' said Randall Calvert, chief executive officer of the Dallas-based Calvert Group, an advertising firm that runs the fan club.

A number of athletes have fan clubs or, like San Francisco Giants slugger Barry Bonds, operate their own Web site as a way to communicate with supporters. Few charge a fee, though.

Yao's club has three pay levels for fans, Calvert said, adding that the amounts haven't been determined. He didn't say when the charges would commence.

``Yao will get a cut,'' Calvert said in a telephone interview. ``They're also deciding on how much of it is going to go to charity.''

Calvert said he didn't know how many fans had joined the fan club, which can be accessed at http://www.yaomingfanclub.com .

Yao earned about $4.1 million this season as part of his four-year, $18 million contract that expires after the 2005-06 season. He earns millions more from endorsements, including contracts with McDonald's Corp., the world's largest chain of hamburger restaurants, Reebok International Ltd., the No. 2 athletic shoemaker, and Apple Computer Inc., the maker of iPod music players.

While it's customary for fan clubs to charge $5 or $10 for a T-shirt, hat or newsletter, anything more might sour fans, said Scott Becher, president of Coral Gables, Florida-based Sports & Sponsorships.

``I don't like the concept,'' he said in a telephone interview. ``It's not going to feel good for most people.''

The companies Yao is associated with will offer perks to members of the fan club, depending of which pay level they belong to, Calvert said, declining to be specific.

The idea for the fan club came from Team Yao, a group of marketing executives hired by the 7-foot-5 center.

Bill Sanders, director of marketing for BDA Sports, which represents Yao, didn't immediately return a message left at his office. Erik Zhang, leader of Team Yao, couldn't immediately be reached.

The fan club devoted to former NBA player Chucky Brown doesn't charge for membership. The club's Web site provides news of Brown, his teams and the NBA. It also conducts interviews with experts on Brown-related basketball matters, including the recipe for his favorite pre-game treat: brownies.

Yao has plenty of potential fan-club members. He got more All-Star votes than the Lakers' Shaquille O'Neal in online fan balloting the past two seasons. He's the most popular athlete in Asia, which is why Toyota Motor Corp. is paying to have its name on Houston's arena. Toyota has a showroom in the building's main concourse.

Yao's fan club will enable his marketing agents to assemble his worldwide fans in one database. That information will be valuable when negotiating endorsement contracts with companies, said Brandon Steiner, president of Steiner Sports Marketing in New Rochelle, New York.

``You have to be very, very careful how this is positioned,'' said David Carter, a principal in the Sports Business Group, a consulting firm. ``If it looks like an affluent athlete embarking on a money grab, this could go south.'' That and this report from Bloomberg News' Pete Coates

SHAMELESS, SHAMELESS YAO.

Offline Profile
PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:19 pm
Posts: 3803Location: Bet on us!Joined: Thu May 27, 2004 2:29 am
get laid.

Offline Profile WWW